6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 2:29 AM by Radoslaw Szmid

SW Plastics: Gate freeze issue

Radoslaw Szmid

Hello,

I know it sounds weird but I've been analyzing a couple of different parts to only find out that my gate doesn't seems to freeze off during Packing analysis no matter how long I set the packing time...Cavity pressure at the end of packing gives non zero values and the part temperature at end of packing (gate cross section) is always way above the glass transition temperature for a specified material.

After running a case study from the official training manuals (SW 2014 Lesson08 - Gate freeze) I got the same issue.

As the cross sections is quite small the gate should be frozen within first seconds (1.6 s is the effective packing time) but it is still at molten condition after 7,5 seconds...

Please check the jpg attached.

SW Premium 2015 x64 SP 1.1

I'm 90% sure there was no such problem in SW 2014.

What I'm doing wrong guys?

Thank you

Edited by R.Szmid: Look what's happening after extending the packing time to 20 sec. The material is still flowing through the gate...

Packing time 20sec.png

• Re: SW Plastics: Gate freeze issue
          Jared Conway

"As the cross sections is quite small the gate should be frozen within first seconds"

is this based on particular experience or that i what the manual says should happen? (i don't have it handy)

Radoslaw Szmid

Hello,

The manual says (and shows on the X-Y plot) it should freeze off after 1.6 sec. There is a 1 sec fill time so in total we got 2.6 sec for this particular point to cross the glass transition temperature (Tg).

As I said, I've been analyzing my own parts and was kinda suspicious about the results I was getting. I then decided to run the Lesson08 to only confirm my concerns.

Radoslaw Szmid

OK...

I've been told by my VAR that it's been now confirmed by people from Dassault that such problem indeed exist! Can you imagine that? It's a critical bug in my opinion.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who discovered it but I'm wondering how much time it will take to fix that!?

For now I have to say SW Plastics 2015 is useless piece of...

Radek

Radoslaw Szmid

Update: 10/20/2015

Last week I had a short webinar with one of the DSS official responsible for Plastics development.

No matter how polite and informative that discussion was, I'm really disappointed on how are things going...

The problem is well known and they're working on it...The thing is they're still waiting for some validation examples base on real data before trying to finally adjust the solver. I've been told that globally the results should be better now but there are indeed some thermal issues that must be fixed to give proper information about gate freeze off time.

I think the worst is that we'll have to wait (how sweet) until 2016 SP2.0 for the issue to be fixed (most likely).

I've been waiting the whole SW2015 release and I'm definitely running out of patience now.

Now let's add this

SolidWorks "Expired Subscriptions" will be switching to a “full backdating” format 1/1/16

and you're starting to ask yourself is it still worth to be a part of this game...

Radek