5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 1:50 PM by Nick Pandelos

Assembly regen issues

Nick Pandelos

For the past few months now I've been working on a project, with a few machined parts and a few virtual parts within a couple of cable assemblies. The problem I'm having is that every time I open an assembly SW throws up the asterisks informing me that I need to save. Now at this point I have done nothing except open the file. Now lets say I make a few changes to the assembly, remove some parts & re-mate others as soon as I hit the save SW wants me to save almost every associated part. Again keep in mind I have not made any changes to any of the other parts. Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on?

• Re: Assembly regen issues
          Jim Sculley

Have all the parts been saved at least once in your current version of SolidWorks?

Do you have any equations or in-context references that are updated on opening?

I think there is a 'rebuild on open' option in the System options as well.  I'm away from my machine right now so I cannot confirm this.

Jim S.

Koko Katanjian

I'm going to make an annoying suggestion, but its something that i always end up doing after things get screwy (quite often)

re create the assembly in a completely separate file. same parts and all that but then you'd be able to pinpoint the exact moment the issue is caused, and why. And its also like a second draft thing, so it helps come up with new ideas and whatnot. but if you've been on the same project file for months now, then something is bound to happen. but i digress.

Keep in mind there are much smarter people than me on these forums so you might wait a day or 2 for more responses before you decide to second draft it.

Nick Pandelos

That is not a bad idea but I would like to only use that as a last resort.

The performance options were all screwy, so I fixed them. I think I have it narrowed down to a few assemblies and something to do with regenerating. Yesterday I took one of the smaller assemblies and reassembled it in a new file. Inserted into a random assembly and hit regen and it asked me to save that new assembly. That new assembly had no ties to anything.