AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking to get a super computer for SW 2015. RAM? Video card?

Question asked by Scott Lyon on Jan 29, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 by Scott Lyon

I've been looking real hard at machines from Origin and do like what I see. Basically I'm figuring on i7-4790 overclocked processors (desktop and laptop), SSDs the likes of Samsung 850 Pro or even jumping to M.2 PCIe drives from Samsung. Those are the easy parts. The parts I'd like some help on are RAM and video cards.

There is some real speedy RAM out there now. Faster than 3000 MHz. My question here is how fast is too fast? Can SW even use the capabilities above 1600 MHz?

The same kind of question applies to video cards. I can't think of a single time I've ever seen a card more robust than 2GB recommended on these forums. Can SW make use of the bigger cards like W7100 or K2200~K5200?

I model a factory. My top level assy is very huge and has well over 10,000 parts & sub-assemblies. All closed down, the files are over 8.5GB in 2014 format. It would take over an hour to open it all up so I usually suppress the areas I'm not concentrating on. I don't do any rendering or even use RealView. All I need to be able to do is open a bunch of the model quickly, spin and zoom it around without it looking like old-time stop motion animation and edit various parts and sub-assemblies without 15 minute coffee breaks between green OK checks.

I currently use a Lenovo S30 with 3.7GHz Xeon E5-1620 v2 and K2000 card. It's been pretty good but is starting to bog down. My Dell M6600 with 2.5GHz Extreme chip and K4000M card has been taking care of the show-n-tell duties in the meetings. It is pitifully underpowered for the task at this point.

Outcomes