5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2015 4:05 PM by Glenn Wilson

solid works 2015 crashes when trying to open step files

Glenn Wilson

Hello

I am trying to open some step files which have been supplied by Mercedes and Fiat but every time I try to it crashes SolidWorks.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and if so how they managed to get around it?

Cheers

Glenn

• Re: solid works 2015 crashes when trying to open step files
          Jeff Mirisola

Glenn,

There could be a number of contributing factors to why you're experiencing crashes. Assuming that you system doesn't have any issues, I suspect it may be the size of the step files.

Does SolidWorks crash immediately, or at some point after the process has started?

Michael Lord

Glenn,

Thinking a bit more about it from the other day.  Most of the issues I think relate to the initial conversion as it is breaking the part into individual surfaces

Surface Numbers.PNG

If you look at the Rear RH door it has broken all the inner panel into individual surfaces (3659 of them)

If I compare the RH to the Left hand rear door (near identical parts) the file sizes when convert to a .sldprt is 65MB RH, 33LH

The crashing I would think relates not so much to Solidworks but a windows "timeout" issue as it try's to process all of the faces!

For your interest this is the individual part from the disc compared to the complete "part" from the download

Strange Surface.PNG

Check those crazy surfaces!

Glenn Wilson

Hi Jeff and Micheal thanks fro the replies.

Getting Mercedes an Fiat to beak up their files into smaller chunks unfortunately would be next to impossible.

I spoke to soon Micheal when I said that I had the chassis file sorted. My mate down the the road opened the file in Solidedge and then saved it as an Iges file which we thought would work. I might see if he can save it as a SolidWorks part for me next and see how that goes.

It is frustrating that Solidedge can open the files but Solid works cannot.

Just for giggles I thought I would show how TurboCad opens the same file from the disk.

I'm so glad that I am no longer using TurboCad as our main drawing program anymore.

Fiat Door.jpg 

Cheers

Glenn