6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 10:17 AM by Neil Saxon

how to create gears

Neil Saxon
      I use a lot of gears in my assemblies.  They are mainly spurand crown gears.  I'd like to learn how to create them usingequations (preferably) as importing entities from an ACAD dwgcreates a very complex sketch and making the part file very largein size.  I'm aware of the Gear Trax software which can dothis for me but cannot convince management to purchase it.
      Thanks ahead.
        • how to create gears
          Dale Dunn
          If you really need an involute profile, then you will have to approximate it with a spline. There are two ways: Use a spreadsheet to create a set of points, then use "curve through free points" which will fit a spline to the points. The second method involves creating a gear tool layout sketch with with appropriate module equations and construction geometry as required to locate the points for the given parameters. Then add the spline yourself.

The first method cannot update to model changes. You will have to re-import the points for any change. The second method will take a long time to set up and get working correctly.

If you don't need an involute profile, just put an arc in there.

I forgot to mention that SW does not have a tool for creating faces or curves from equations. There are macros out there that can create a curve from an equation. One called "eqcurve" comes to mind, but I don't know where to find it off the top of, oh wait, I saved a copy. It's attached.
            • how to create gears
              Neil Saxon
              Thanks for responding.
              I was hoping for a simpler method but oh well,  BTW I couldnot run the macro.  I received run time errors.
              I will trudge on.
                • how to create gears
                  jm sculley
                  I have a parametric spur gear model. There is a data sketch where you set all the key gear parameters, and after a rebuild or two, the gear updates via equations. I can't say if the resulting geometry is good enough for manufacturing custom gears, but it does approximate the involute profile well enough to 'look' correct. We keep the file 'read-only' and do a 'Save As...' any time we need a new size.

• how to create gears
                      Neil Saxon
                      Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the reply.  Unfortunately I need gear profileswhich are "by the book".  I have been trying to usepict correct gears but need the exact profile to check for matingerrors.

Since my initial posting, my request for the Gera Trax software hasbeen approved  This should enable me to do what I want.
                        • how to create gears
                          Isn't there a feature in Toolbox that will "create" thegears based on the numbers you input in the feature propertiesmanager.... Chain size, type, Heavy duty etc.....?
                            • how to create gears
                              Neil Saxon
                              The gears available in the Toolbox do not have the correct toothform.  I can select a different width, # of teeth ... but the teeth are not correct.  Plus some gear types arenot available.

I did receive my Gear Trax software though and it does all Ineed.

I recommend it.