27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 11:03 AM by Elmar Klammer

Individual Sheet Custom Propertis

Ryan Vovk

Hello all, first time posting a question, so please bear with me.  I am currently using SolidWorks Premium 2014, and I am trying to make drawing templates for my place of work.  I

have played around with the custom properties tab builder for drawings and models a little bit, so I have a general understanding of how it works.  At my company we model

multi-body parts with configurations to suppress/delete bodies, to show the individual components.  I know this might be weird to some, but it works best for us instead of making

assembly's.   For our drawings, we use multiple sheets in one drawing file to show the individual component requirements.  These components have different part numbers.  I would

like to set up custom properties for the borders of each sheet individually, instead of it populating all the sheets the same.  Is this possible?  If not, what are your recommendations to

getting around this?  Currently we edit the annotations in the the sheet format which is a pain sometimes.

I have been looking for information on this all over and cannot seem to find the specifics I need.

Thank You!

Ryan

• Re: Individual Sheet Custom Propertis
          Jeff Mirisola

Use the custom properties dialog box in the part file to control the name that shows up on the drawing sheet. The custom properties can be specific to each configuration, so each one can have its own name. When a drawing sheet uses the $PRPSHEET syntax, it looks in the custom properties first, so the configuration name is what will show up.

Hope that makes sense.

Ryan Vovk

I think so.  I will check it out tomorrow and see how it goes.  I will reply on how it goes.  Thank you!

VENKATESH S.

Create the template file of sheet format in Draft Sight save it as a drawing file. create new drawing in solidworks switch the sheet which you wanna to set a customized sheet format

1. Rt.click on Sheet Area -> Click " Edit Sheet Format" -> Delete all the previously defined sheet format -> In "Annotation Tab" -> Click "Block" -> "Insert Block" -> Click "Browse" -> Next to file name Click "Solidworks block" Change it to "Autocad Drawing Block -> Click "Open" -> in "Properties Tab" Set the block scale size if needed tick explode block or else not -> Pick insertion point in sheet -> Rt.click on Sheet Area -> Click " Edit Sheet "

Thanks and Regards

Venkatesh S

Application Engineer

E G S Computers India Pvt. Ltd.

http://www.egsindia.com | http://www.egs.co.in | http://www.egsindia.blogspot.in

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Ryan,

I also use multiple sheets in one drawing file, it seems you know how to get the information to the drawing sheet as well.  When you right click on the drawing and edit the page this is what it should look like -

Which is populated here -

What I do prior to dropping in assemblies or parts in a drawing I open the property tab builder and insert all the information containing to the project and save it - then in the assembly I select the saved tab builder and all I do is add the part description and I'm done.  If you have a part with multiple configurations you need to open the part and change the configuration and type in another description that corresponds with that part - you can also change it here -

It definitely is a pain to edit each sheet and insert or change info - it sure would be nice to have the property tab builder in a excel based format, like the design tables etc., -  Design tables could also be an answer for your issues as well, but I prefer the tab builder for what I do -

If you have further questions or would like to see more detail send me an email at johns@keystonecollections.com

Later,

John

PS: In the forum search for John George - he was a huge help for me in setting up what I have used for a few years now

Bernie Daraz

Ryan,

When using config specific properties the drawing sheet can/will display the properties entered into the part file, see my picture and use that tab to enter them individually. Your system might need a little tweaking though you can see them from the standard entry screen as you have shown. The downside of that method is you cannot use dropdowns for common entries.

At worst you have to change the properties of the drawing sheet to change to the view displayed on that sheet where SW is to get the specific properties from. (None are entered on the picture I show.)

Capture 01232015.JPG

Ryan Vovk

Thank you everyone for the replies.  I have not had a chance to look into this further yet.  I will try to this week and see how it all works out.  Again, thank you all!  Really like the community support here.

Brian McEwen

""

I would like to set up custom properties for the borders of each sheet individually, instead of it populating all the sheets the same.

""

I don't think this has been mentioned.

By default a multi-sheet drawing will show the same title block  on each sheet.

Right click on the sheet (make sure it is an unused area, not part of a view)  and go to Properties. See dropdown - "Use custom properties from model shown in:"  you can select the view you want to use for that sheet title block.  Then it should follow whatever configuration you have selected in the controlling view.

Bernie Daraz

Here too might be recognized as a need for configuration specific properties. Though I don't know for sure given the question and post here. I think that is what Brian McEwen was suggesting too.

Jody Holm

Brian,

I'm looking for the same thing Ryan is. Your method only populates the title block with the description of the model "...from model shown in:" I need the same type of option except I need a description of the configuration to some how be applied to the title block. For example the same procedure you mentioned except "....from configuration shown in:"

The model has it's description but all the configurations in the model also have their descriptions. These are the ones I want on each sheet.

This being said, where would I input a description for my configuration so it would show up in my title block?

(Sorry for taking over Ryan!)

Brian McEwen

Unless I don't understand some detail, I think that is the same thing Ryan was asking for.  Have you tried it Jody?  The property name for each Config Specific Property is normally the same as the default Custom Property.  Even tho the option is called "use custom property from model shown in" you will see the config specific property if you select the appropriate view to control the sheet, that is the whole point.   Sooo... on your drawing you just need to enter the appropriate link in the text box where you want the description to show up. 

Restating:  If both Config Specific and Default are filled in for a given property then  you will only see the Config specific -  Provided you select a controlling view that is showing the configuration you want.

John Stoltzfus

Brian / Ryan -

I actually have 2 different drawing templates, one for assemblies/sub-assemblies and the other for parts - here they want to have the machining operation on the drawing and that's not needed in the assembly file...

What I do is load a minimum of 2 Assembly Templates, (or more),  then I add 1 Parts Template and from there I just hit the "New" sheet and it keeps loading the parts template..

Josh Killalea

configuration specific properties an $PRPSHEET links are the answer to your question. i use excel to do configurations via design tables as it is MUCH faster and easier and you can control every aspect of your part from there.

to insert a design table go to Insert>Tables>Design Table

for loads of good info on design tables check out this thread

Ryan Vovk

Do any of you know where I can find more advanced information on custom properties for information linked to design tables?  I'm trying to reduce as much interaction with the drawing as possible and have people just plug in data to the properties tab.  I would like to set up tolerance radio buttons or drop down list to select the type of tolerance and have a text window you can enter in your tolerance. The tolerances change from part to part.  I have attached a picture of part of my design table.  The tolerance is linked to the dimensions in the model.

Capture.PNG

Josh Killalea

when using the design tables to control the configuration you cannot have a user change that "thing" that is controlled by the design table. the only way i know of to do what you are asking (if i am understanding you correctly) is to use a property page. this is something i only just stumbled across 5 minutes ago myself so not much help with them, but i am going to experiment with them right now! lol. this is the thread i found out about the property pages in, refer to post #6 by John Burrill.

Ryan Vovk

I am very sorry everyone for not posting here lately, as I have not had the chance to really get into this yet.  Again, I do appreciate everyone's input, and as soon as I can get a chance to do this, I will post how things worked out.  Thank you! 

Glenn Schroeder

Ryan Vovk wrote:

At my company we model multi-body parts with configurations to suppress/delete bodies, to show the individual components.  I know this might be weird to some, but it works best for us instead of making assembly's.   For our drawings, we use multiple sheets in one drawing file to show the individual component requirements.  These components have different part numbers. 

Ryan,

It's not necessary to suppress bodies to show them individually in a drawing.  See #15 here: Frequently Asked Forum Questions .  You can use cut list properties for part numbers, and they'll be linked to the bodies.  I do it all the time.

Glenn

Ryan Vovk

Again, I appreciate everyone's help on this, however I have not been able to look into this more due to time constraints.  I hope to look into this at some point, just not sure when I will have that opportunity.  If/when I get a chance, I will I will be sure to post my results.  Hope this was at least useful for others.

Victor Costas

Ryan;

I think that I have the same problem that yours. Is very weird that in assemblies and parts you can mange custom properties and in drawings you only can set properties to the wholes document. It would be very useful to have the ability to manage custom properties for individual sheets, but at least on SolidWorks 2015 and older is not possible. I have already made an enhancement request about this, because in my case this limits a lot our made of work, and is very annoying to have a single drawing document for each component.

The problem that you have working with multi-body parts is that the relation of the component to the attribute is not direct. I suggest you to have a configuration for each component and set the properties there.

Brian McEwen

It is completely possible to have different properties for each sheet, please re-read some of the above posts. You can pick which view each sheet uses to drive the title block properties.

Victor Costas

Brian;

I think that you´re not understanding the problem. Of course  I know that you can reffer in each sheet to properties of the part or the cut list, but only if you use the properties of the part. What I mean is about properties of the drawing document. You can set custom properties also for drawing document, independently of the view of the part that you are using, are properties of the document not of the view. So, at now, if you want to use the properties of the drawing document, you only can set them for the whole document. What I ask to is to have the possibility to set custom properties for each sheet:

John Stoltzfus

Not sure if this would help you or not, but you can set up the Custom Property Tab Builder for Drawings as well, when your in the drawing file you can click on the properties tab and select the specific properties that are needed for that drawing.  Personally I prefer the custom properties at the part and the assembly level, but you can adjust your drawing template to accept whatever you need.

Victor Costas

The property Tab is just a form to complete faster the properties, is very useful but it doesn´t solve this. I also like to have the properties on the part and II do in that way for now, but sometimes you need to generate different drawings for the same component. My problem is that we have lots of authomations with Macros that generate .txt files from the properties of parts and we can import that to the ERP. So we need one part for each component because we get properties from it, and we can need diferent configurations for each part ( mecanized, bought part...). But we always use global properties of the part to define it´s drawing and it´s information for the ERP. The problem appears when you want to generate additional drawing for a same component. The name of the drawing and it mark belongs to the part, and it is unique. So you have to get into the format and brake the link to the property, and then write what you want manually.

However, if you can set properties individually for each sheet, you´ll be able to generate a property tab to change very quick any field. I don´t understand why this doesn´t exists, because for the revisions you can select to have individual revisions for each sheets. I only ask to have the same options than in assemblies and parts

John Stoltzfus

Here is my thought process.........

Would it be possible for you to setup a "Description2" or "CustomProperty2" and make a new drawing template that would eliminate the standard part or assembly properties, then when you add an additional sheet for that particular part, all you would need to do is right click the drawing and select another sheet template, then you could pull in additional or different information from either the part/assembly file or just type it in the custom property tab.. 

The  "Description2" or "CustomProperty2" would not be on your standard drawing template, only on the added sheet etc.. does that make sense???

Victor Costas

I´ve already thought on that as temporary solution. It´s a good solution for specific cases, but maual solution. The problem is that the users don´t hae still much experience with this so I have to get them this kind of issues solve and make everything as easy as I can and  I think that for the methodology that I am trying to set in the company it would help me a lot to have individual custom properties for each sheets.

In any case, many thanks for your time

Elmar Klammer

Hi,

What you describe seems difficult to manage. If you want, you can add custom properties to the drawing itself and link the properties to the titleblock.

John already noted on this. Add a custom property "Description_1" and another "Description_2". On sheet 1 link the titleblock note "Description_1", and on sheet 2 link it to "Description_2". You can automate that too. This is one way to link drawing custom properties to individual sheets. I use this in some case for assembly drawings only. I also don't track this information with ERP. It is simply used as general information to assist the person using the shop drawing.

All in all, what you are doing seems to be very difficult to manage and organize in the long run. You might want to reconsider.

Elmar