1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 8:37 AM by Matthew Phaneuf

What is the difference in increment revision in a transition vs increment revision in a state?

Dan Dillon

In a workflow, I have a state with revision increment set to 1.  I also have a transition going into that state where under the actions I am incrementing the revision and setting the revision variable.  Do I also need to have the revision increment in the transition set to 1 on the revision numbers tab?  If not, why is it there?  Thanks in advance

• Re: What is the difference in increment revision in a transition vs increment revision in a state?
          Matthew Phaneuf

Hi Dan

Welcome to the Forum.

First, your transition is setting the stage for what will happen at some point. The Revision Numbers tab should say what Rev scheme your using, that is all. This isn't where the Rev is being set, or stamped, however, and you can verify that in the History of the file (RMB from WE in a folder view). You see this again in most cases in the State that follows next. That is where the "stamp" goes; hence the "1". If you were to take away the Rev scheme in the State, you would notice it disappears from the transition. It's really just a confirmation.

There are so many ways to build workflows, and depending on how you configure it, these don't always "feed" into one another in  perfect order; what I mean is, the transition with the Actions doesn't always immediately precede the State that Stamps the Rev. They can be separated, depending on what your Workflow is doing. That's a little more advanced than the Default workflow. Which, by the way, when you set up a new workflow, having a "Default" workflow to use as an "example" is a great way to keep yourself in check.

Hope this helped!

MattP