4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 9:35 AM by Nicole Walden

Moving the SQL Database - Isn't connecting

Nicole Walden

We did a test run last night of moving the current 2014 SQL/database from a separate server to the archive server. (Can't upgrade the existing SQL from 2005 on current server for other reasons)

We used the instructions in the guide on how to move it: installation, database/table(s) backup, and registry modifications.

Restored both the EPDM database and the ConisioMasterDb to the Archive Server (Where both will be housed moving forward)

Installed the Database Service to the current Archive Server

Took the old SQL Server offline

Modified the registry settings.

Did an IP search for the server name in the registry so we could ensure we didn’t miss anything.

Started the services

When that didn’t work we rebooted the server

Here are the locations we changed and one more under current user for the client application:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SOLIDWORKS\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\vaultname

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SOLIDWORKS\Application\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SOLIDWORKS\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\vaultname

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SOLIDWORKS\Application\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\vaultname

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > SOLIDWORKS > Applications > PDMWorksEnterprise > MailService

Any and all suggestions would GLADLY be welcomed.

I asked my VAR ahead of time for any issues that could arise that wasn't listed in the guide and all they did was email me the Installation Guide.  As if I didn't already have that.

• Re: Moving the SQL Database - Isn't connecting
          Michael LaFleche

Nicole, I recently had to do this.  You have all the correct reg locations.  Make sure that each of the archive servers and clients are restarted.  Also, this is important, if any of the clients had their local view installed as "This user only" instead of "All users" then the registry location on the clients are in a different location (Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER")  The best thing to do is run a search in the registry for the old SQL server name and replace it.

Nicole Walden

Thank you VERY much for the feedback.

We took the old SQL server offline, restarted the services, and rebooted the new server.

I did a search for the IP address through the entire registry to ensure I had them all. (IP addresses are how ours is setup)

I believe that the client was done as "all users" but we did "current user" registry change while we were in there.

Martin Solem

Hi Nicole,

Are you getting any messages, errors, any entries in client log, archive server log, or even in Windows Server Application log?

The EPDM Archive and Database server services are using a SQL login name to access the database. Did you make sure you updated these services with a new name and password, or did you make sure to create the same username and same access rights on the new SQL server, as you had on the previous?

Best regards,
              Martin