AnsweredAssumed Answered

Complex trim problem

Question asked by Jerry Bentley on Jan 17, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 by Kelvin Lamport

Complex trim problem.  Trim screen shot.pngShape is so extreme I can't get split to work nor trim with surface to cut it.  I also use inventor but prefer solidworks for complex shapes like this.  In inventor I could box  in the shape and use the sculpt tool and make a solid block and then use combine tool and subtract the solid shape from my part.  But I can't find anyway to do this in solidworks.  Does anyone have a ideal?

What I would really like to do is loft around the shape I won't to cut , a lot of times when I do this,   its a box, rectangle, or triangle  shape with three or four sides and one cap,  that will extend any surface out of the solid part then I can trim it in inventor ,  but I also can't get this to work in solidworks either  if my wall have to be near 90 degrees,  at least in version 14 .  These two issues are hurting me in solidworks but there are way more positives in solidworks for this kind of stuff over Inventor.  I added a screen shot of the part, the area in red is what I am tiring to cut out.  As you can see I have a lot of areas to trim out of this part so I really need to figure this out.

Thanks JB

Outcomes