5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 11:01 AM by Daen Hendrickson

Looking for reviews for Activault

mitchell shellenberger

We are looking to implement some type of file management system for our small engineering/design office.  We have looked at several options including SW EPDM, but that is just not financially feasible for us.  We have explored SW WorkgroupPDM, but everyone keeps saying how this is going away, or that the future is uncertain for this product, so that puts a bit of a damper on that option.  One option that we have been looking into is SolidPartners Activault.  This production looks like to could be a good fit for us.  It looks like it has all the functionality that we are looking for at this time, and a price tag that could be manageable for us.

So I am looking for feedback from people who are using this product now.  What are your thoughts?  Would you recommend this, or discourage us from going this direction?

• Re: Looking for reviews for Activault
          mitchell shellenberger

Is there anyone who has recently implemented Solid Partners - Activault?

John Burrill

WPDM isn't receiving a lot of updates these days, but it's still fully supported with the latest version of SolidWorks and Windows and given that it comes with Solidworks Professional, it's worth trying out.

Daen Hendrickson

+1 for John's assessment.

As has been discussed in other posts, the "rumor" that WPDM is going away has been around about as long as EPDM has been renamed from Conisio. SW has stated several times they will give ample notification of End of Life for WPDM - ample being two major releases.

I think SW understands they have a large customer base using WPDM among which EPDM is absolutely NOT an upgrade option. Dumping Workgroup without an alternative would alienate that customer base.

WPDM does not stop working if SW stops supporting (although it will interfere with updating SW). It is included with Pro and Premium. I say give it a try since you have it already. If SW pulls the plug with NO migration path you have two years with updates to resolve the issue. An additional benefit is that you have a wealth of knowledge available here on the forum. Not so much for Activault.

Daen

mitchell shellenberger

Daen and John,

These are good points.  I guess I just don't understand SW's strategy in creating this uncertainty with the WPDM product.  I fully agree with you Daen that dumping WPDM would create a major problem among existing users because the EPDM product is so far from WPDM that the jump is not feasible for most.  When I first became aware of the WPDM product I thought this would be a great option for us.  However this was after a lengthy discussion with our VAR about EPDM.  Never once did they mention WPDM as an option.  When I realized there was built in PDM functionality in the higher levels of SW, I called our VAR and ask about this.  This is when he immediately informed me that this product's future is a bit unknown.  I even called SW directly and the person there also told me the same thing.

Unfortunately we are running standard licenses, so WPDM is not functionality that we currently have.  Actually the cost in implement Activault is less than the cost to upgrade our licenses.  Along with this, several people that I have talked to did not talk highly of they way that WPDM works.

I am trying to plan for the future so the thought of having to change gears in 2 or 3 years is a bit discouraging.

Thanks for all your input

Daen Hendrickson

Mitchell,

Your points are well taken.

Having to pay additional to access WPDM would probably influence my decisions as well.

WPDM certainly has a limited toolset. But with that in mind, it does do what it does really well. It may not have this or that functionality, but it is stable.

A quick look at the Activault demo videos shows it is a product worth additional investigation.