4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 8:48 AM by Romeo Graham

SolidWorks 2015 losing and incorrect references

Clayton Rowley

Myself and a fellow colleague at work are having the following problems with SolidWorks. I can copy files and open them and what's described below happens, other colleagues open the same files on the network and they work correctly.

Both of us are having the following issues as of lately.

Randomly when we open parts/assemblies/drawings we get the following pop ups, "internal id does not match" (part within the assembly has not been opened or changed), "do you want to open the last auto-recovered version of this file" (SW has not crashed, from what I've read this means SW is not sure about the references, I turned auto-recover off now - not sure yet if it helped this pop up or not), "resolve ambiguity" when opening drawings, and the biggest problem I copy (all 3 files plus drawings to a new folder) Assy A, which is made up from Part B & Part C. I go the new folder and click Assy A, and check references, it shows both part files referenced to the new folder. I open the assembly and then check component properties and one or both of the parts are referenced to the old, original folder, not the new folder like it showed in references before opening the assembly.

Now that we see a pattern, I can go in and "replace" the file with correct file/location and everything is ok. Until the files are copied again, then it does the above again.

If I copy the files using pack and go, the files open and reference correctly. Sometimes we only copy one part A to another folder, not an entire assembly. If I go to open an assembly to change references to this new part, now I can't trust them.

This may seem like a simple solution, however we copy files from one project (folder) to another daily. We check references, but the references aren't correct and cannot be trusted. If I copy these files and open the above happens, do not save then have another colleague that doesn't have this problem opens them and it works as it should. We also have VB macro/programs that change SW part and assemblies so it isn't as easy as always using pack and go.

I wanted to make sure that everyone doesn't answer use pack and go, because this problem is much bigger.

There are a couple files this keeps replicating in, but in general this only happens randomly and off and on. And only on two users computers. We have compared settings and everything we can think of. We are lost.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Clayton

• Re: SolidWorks 2015 losing and incorrect references
          John Burrill

try this.

Close any open files.

On your machine, go into Options:System Options:External References and check Use File Locations for External References.

This changes Solidworks' file search algorythm so that it first searches for assembly components in the File Locations search path (which can be empty) and then looks in the folder from where the assembly was opened.  there are about 15 other steps, but those are the two important ones to know.  Unchecking this checkbox makes Solidworks first look in the folder of the reference when the assembly was last saved.  This location is stored in the parent assembly and it doesn't work well if you move your files around a lot.

Open your assembly and it should pull the references from the same folder as the assembly.  With that behavior being predictable, you can work out the other issues fairly easily.

The internal id changed issue frequently comes up working with multiple copies if files are renamed, zipped or touched in any way-even if those changes have no impact on the contents of the file.  Solidworks generates some kind of hash code when a file is saved and stores that in its parent assembly.  If the hash is broken on the part by any kind of file operation, the internal id flag is tripped.

The prompt to load Autorecover version of files is a nag, but not really relevant to what you're doing.  If Solidworks crashes with a specific file open and there's been an Autorecover generated, then every time you subsequently open or switch to that file, SolidWorks will prompt you to use the autorecovered version-even if you deleted it or saved a newer version-until you shut down Solidworks.  I have a lot of gripes with how unreliable and fickle the SolidWorks autorecover tool is, but if you ignore its messages, it shouldn't affect the results you're trying to achieve here.

Final bit of advice.

These kinds of errors and warnings abound when you try to run a multiuser environment using Windows explorer.  You're really much better off if you use a PDM software to manage files and copies.

Clayton Rowley

I have that box checked and my file location for referenced files is empty (I learned this had to be blank a while ago when it messed things up).

My settings are the same as the other users around me. I open the assembly it shows the references of everything to my current folder. After I've opened the assembly and check component properties and the part is actually from another folder. I go back and I can't change any references from SW open references, I can double click pick the correct files it shows references correct. Open the file check properties and its still from another folder. Only way I can get it to the correct file is to replace the part(s) in the assembly after its open. But once the assembly is moved or copied to another location it loses the reference again.

The colleague beside me can open the same files, same settings and it works correctly?...

We even re loaded all my SW default settings and still the same.

Anna Wood

When you open your assembly go to File > Find References.....

Do this on both systems.

Are the files coming from where you expect them to be coming from?

Do all your files have unique names?

Romeo Graham

I think the "unique name" question is a very important one. I generally take great lengths to eliminate duplicate files with the same name, because of the issues SW has finding the right file.

If you need a part in more than one assembly, I think it's best to have that file in some kind of "shared" folder...then the ambiguity is removed. (it sounds like you have good reasons to not do this however).

I would rather have several files with same geometry but different names than several files with different geometry but same names.

Good luck!