3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 12:07 PM by Jeff Mirisola

What is the best way to perform revisions of parts or assemblies and related drawings?

Fabio Boiocchi

Vorrei sapere se qualcuno conosce qual è il metodo migliore per eseguire revisioni di assiemi o parti e relativi disegni. Possiedo una versione Standard e non ho PDM. Grazie

I wonder if anyone knows what is the best way to perform revisions of assemblies or parts and related drawings. I own a Standard version and I've not PDM. Thank You

• Re: What is the best way to perform revisions of parts or assemblies and related drawings?
          Jeff Mirisola

I've always kept parts/assemblies and their drawings at the same rev level, with the part/assembly driving the revision to the drawing. There are those who will argue that a drawing may change (updated/corrected notes, etc) while the part doesn't. However, in my opinion, you then lose continuity. Where you aren't using PDM, simply update the revision on the part/assembly in the custom properties dialog and link it to the revision block on the drawing.

• Re: What is the best way to perform revisions of parts or assemblies and related drawings?
              Fabio Boiocchi

My method is to give rows to the properties of the part/assemby for writing the number of the drawing_revision (for example 1.250.000_1 is the drawing 1.250.000 revision 1) and link this to the page footer of the various drawings that are nothing more than more sheets of the same drawing with the correct view linked to the corrsponding part/assembly revision. For revisioning the part/assembly i do more configuration of the same part/assembly. Hoping to have written clear, i ask if this method is too much hard-working or there is something more simple. Thank you one more time.

Jeff Mirisola

You create configurations for your revisions? I disagree with that completely.

If I revise part number 12345, going from revision A to revision B, I will have a line in the custom properties box that calls out REV B. There will be another line that briefly describes what the change(s) is/are. i.e. 2.5 was 2.125; 5.00 was 5.75. This information will be on the drawing as well, with the information being pulled from the part/assembly. I will also have revision triangles on the drawing at the items that have changed.

Creating configurations, to me, makes no sense with regards to revisions. If you've revised a part, it's former self is part of history. You should definitely keep a pdf of the drawing at the old revision level for reference purposes, but nothing more.