1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 7:23 PM by Richard Cook

Windows 8.1, Solidworks 2015 SP1, Description box missing from "Save as dialog box"

Steven Bennett

I upgraded to a new mobile workstation (Dell M6800, and loving it) it came with Windows 8.1 and im using Solidworks 2015 SP1, although i have the same problem with SW 2014 on the new machine.

Usually when i create a part, and save it, I have 3 options: File name (which i use as the Drawing number) File type (part, template, ect) and "Description" (which I use as the description of the part, then link it to the assembly drawings and individual drawing)

Now the "description" box is missing from the "save as dialog box", its very critical because I use the file (part) Description in the design tree to easily locate parts in assemblies, and its linked to a note on my drawing templates in order to automatically appear on each drawing.

Does anyone know how I can get the description box back? or any alternative will be greatly appreciated. (Manually inserting descriptions on each individual drawing is not an option)

Thank You Very Much

Steven Bennett

• Re: Windows 8.1, Solidworks 2015 SP1, Description box missing from "Save as dialog box"
          Richard Cook

Please firstly see: S-045580.

This has also been seen on PCs where the sldpropertyhandler.dll was not properly registered on the PC. This can occur due to insufficient permissions during installation.

In order to register the dll, please:

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to c:\program files\SolidWorks\SolidWorks

2. Open a command prompt by going to Start > Run > type cmd and hit Enter

3. In the command prompt type regsvr32<space>

4. Drag/drop the sldpropertyhandler.dll file from Windows Explorer into the command prompt and hit enter to register the dll .

Example:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\SolidWorks\SolidWorks\sldpropertyhandler.dll