4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 4:58 PM by Jacob Picolet

EPDM $PRP:"Description" on Data Cards

David Hill

I'm new to EPDM and Solidworks.

I'm supporting the company on creating inital drawings tied to a new EPDM install.

The current data card is ready togo I understand....I've noticed some issues early on.

The description property attribute is tied to the sheet not the part or model.  Meaning if I link to the Model description the Data card doesn't populate.

Can this property be tied to both?  What would need to be changed on the Data Card?

• Re: EPDM $PRP:"Description" on Data Cards
          Jacob Picolet

David,

Welcome to the Forum.  The answer to this question can have a variety of answers based on how you are using the Data Cards and Drawings within your company.  We setup two different Data Cards that are identical to each other in terms of looks, with the exception of a note that tells users that the "Document Information" is populated by its part or assembly.  This way we could set most of the values to always be read-only for drawings, basically a mirror of the part or assembly Data Card. 

In relation to the Variables we set one attribute for file extension "slddrw" to have a Block name of $PRPSHEET.  For the same variable with file extensions sldasm,sldprt, slddrw we set the Block name to CustomProperty. This works for us because of how our drawing templates are setup

Hope this helps.

-JP

David Hill

Thankyou Jacob.

After poking around a bit I think I understand.

A couple of  questions for clearification:

1.)  The "attribute" for the file extension 'slddrw' that has a $PRPSHEET Block name......Is that on the Drawing Data Card or the Part or Assembly Data           Cards?

2.)  Conversely are the other extensions sldasm,sldprt,slddrw and "CustomProperty Block .".. Is that on the Drawing or Part/Assy Data Cards?

This gets info from the drawings and the TitleBlock.. which in turn is a model property ....I'm assuming all theses properties are drawing template driven           properties with the $PRPSHEET:"    " identifier is that maps back to the model.  Right?

Jacob Picolet

Terry's link below shows exactly how we set up our variables. As for your 1 & 2 questions, the variables are used for both Data Cards and you cannot setup specific attributes for the same variable that you use in different Data Cards.   So it is the same variable used in both Data Cards that pulls different information, based on the file extensions.  And yes I believe you have it correct for how $PRPSHEET is mapping back to the model.

-JP