2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 10:41 AM by Daen Hendrickson

SSD Installation

Alan Thomason

Hello all...

I have a lot of large Motion Models that I work with on my current project.  Because Motion models are so delicate, I try to get in the habit of saving new versions on a regular basis and creating Pack and Gos.  At this point, each save takes dozens of seconds (waaa!  I know, my 1990 self is tsk tsking at me).  I am intrigued with SSDs, but have a couple of questions.  First off, at one time there were frequent comments about the limited number of read/writes that could occur on an SSD.  I looked around again, and that doesn't seem to be mentioned much anymore...Is this just less of a problem than everyone thought?

Secondly, the method of use seems to be to put the operating system on the SSD and leave the data on the HDD.  Since most of my frustration stems from waiting for the model itself to save, my inclination would be to put the most recent project on the SSD, perhaps backing that up to the HDD periodically.  This is probably also because I am afraid of rebulding my OS on another drive. 

Thanks in advance for your advice...

• Re: SSD Installation
          Corey Vantilborg

Alan,

At this point I would consider an SSD a requirement for use with Solidworks. 

There is no concern about the read/write cycle any more.  Modern SSDs have endurance measured in the hundreds of TB. Furthermore many SSDs are available with a 5 year warranty.  

You want to make sure that you keep your Solidworks data on the SSD, this is more important than the OS being on the SSD. 

Corey Vantilborg

• Re: SSD Installation
              Daen Hendrickson

Alan,

Some other considerations:

• Not all SSDs are created equal. Do a little research and stick with some of the better recognized names.
              • When SSDs fail it is typically complete and instant. Consider running two SSDs in RAID
              • Perform a regular backup transfer of data from the SSD to your HD.

Daen