11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 9:24 AM by Michael Nebel

Simulation data probe macro

George K.

EDIT: I have moved this from Simulation to API and have added some detail to the post so it is clearer what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to make a macro that will probe a face (defined by a split line, so as to make it a distinct controlled area that I can probe all of the element) for the first, second and third principal stresses as well as the strain energy density. I attempted to simply record the macro but it didn't pick up on what I was doing. All I was attempting to do was once I had run the simulation record macro that would select a result plot, second button click on the plot, go through probe (or "list selected", as that is what I was effectively selecting in the probe option anyway) and save a csv for the face I am interested in, then move onto the next result plot and repeat until I had exported the data for the plots I have mentioned. When I attempted to record this it gave me a macro with only a few lines of code which I think only recognised me clicking on the face, not the probing of the faces and the exporting of csv files.

Sub main()

Set swApp = _

Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("", "FACE", 2.36469774600323E-03, 8.58908409014703E-03, 1.00000999998429E-02, True, 0, Nothing, 0)

Part.ClearSelection2 True

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("", "FACE", 2.73839242295537E-03, 8.61402378137655E-03, 0.010000099999786, True, 0, Nothing, 0)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("", "FACE", 2.4164657299508E-03, 8.52676618163173E-03, 1.00000999999565E-02, True, 0, Nothing, 0)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("", "FACE", 0.002399477940358, 8.61948923898126E-03, 1.00000999998429E-02, True, 0, Nothing, 0)

End Sub

Is it possible to record a macro to do this task, or do I need more advanced programming skills to do this?

Thanks.

• Re: Simulation data probe macro
          Jared Conway

why not use the probe tool that is already built in?

probably best to put this in the API forum as well

George K.

Currently I am simply going through the probe function to get the first, second and third principal stresses as well as the strain energy density data from a specific area of the simulation and export as csv files. It is quite time consuming to do it manually for different geometry iterations, hence why I wondered if it is possible to make a macro.

As for the API forum, should I repost or are there moderators who can move this? Some places get a bit funny about reproducing threads.

George K.

I didn't realise I could move it myself. Now it is moved.

Attilio Colangelo

Hi George,

I just completed a macro to do something similar.   It is easiest if you name the face in the model first (right click --> Face Properties-->"CustomFaceName" in the code below). My original code was just for the split line and I made some mods to get to the face. 

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set CWObject = swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation.7") 'This works for SW Sim 2014

Set COSMOSWORKS = CWObject.COSMOSWORKS

Set ActDoc = COSMOSWORKS.ActiveDoc()

Set StudyMngr = ActDoc.StudyManager()

Set Study = StudyMngr.GetStudy(6) 'This a zero-index array of the for the number of the study tab in the model

Set swEntityFace = swPart.GetEntityByName("CustomFaceName", 2)

swEntityArray = Array(swEntityFace ) 'This is a 1 item array but must be in this form for the GetStressForEntities3 call

ErrorCodeEnum = Study.RunAnalysis 'Study must be meshed and ready to run at this point (outside of this macro)

Set cwResults = Study.Results

'cwResullts now gives you access to all the results you can get interactively

'Component 9 is vonMises, face position 0 is Total top (bending + membrane), 1 is bottom

vonMises = cwResults.GetStressForEntities3(True, 9, 1, Nothing, swEntityArray, 1, 0, 0, False, ErrorCodeEnum)

'Components 6 ( 7, and 8) are the principal stresses

principalStress1= cwResults.GetStressForEntities3(True, 6, 1, Nothing, swEntityArray, 1, 0, 0, False, ErrorCodeEnum)

I don't see an API call for Save as CSV (but there is one for Motion Studies?).  In the past I have processed the raw result arrays (e.g. vonMises) by writing to Excel programmatically.

I am somewhat new to this forum so excuse the code (non)formatting, etc.  I can fill in more details if you need.

Attilio

Aaron Gradeen

Hi Attilio,

Thanks for the post. I'm trying to run your code with similar objectives to George. I'm using 2015 SP 1.1. Is there any additional information which must be defined above the Sub main? (I don't declare option explicit). I get an error when the program gets to the line

"Set swEntityFace = swPart.GetEntityByName("CustomFaceName", 2)".

It says "Object required"

If I debug, I can tell that CWObject is never successfully set to anything  ie. when I hover over the variable VBA indicates CWObject=nothing. Any idea if the swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation.7") is still adequate for 2015? I even tried changing it to swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation") which is what they use in the API examples and it's still not working.

Can anyone help?

Attilio Colangelo

That was one of my first posts and now that I see it again it is lacking.  A couple things:

1. swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation")

will get the CWObject in 2015.  Also, make sure your project references in VBA are pointing to the Solidworks 2015 libraries. I struggled with this in SW 2014.

2. Add the following:

Dim swPart  As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Set swPart = swApp.ActiveDoc 'Assumes the active document is a part file

I did not have that in my original post and it is the source of the "Object required" error because "swPart" was never created.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Gradeen

Thanks Attilio! That was certainly the issue. I'm finding that the "If object is nothing then" line of code is giving me some good error checking. I am now able to set swEntityFace to the correct face on the part. At this point my intentions stray from George's. I'm using the function GetFreeBodyForcesandMoment to ultimately obtain the normal and shear forces on this face (not so concerned about the moments as the faces will be quite small and therefore provide good resolution). I'm having trouble getting solidworks to select a reference point (tools -> reference geometry -> point) I have located in the centre of the part face. I think I need this point as one of the arguments in the function before it will spit out the forces. I have even tried just inserting a point with a sketch on the face. Still no luck yet. Here's the syntax

Set theSketch = swmodel.GetEntityByName("SketchName", 9)

I have tried using all different types of numbers where the argument 9 is shown. I'll keep trying and post the final code if I have any luck with it. Is anyone familiar with this getfreebodyforcesandmoments functionality?

Force = cwResults.GetFreeBodyForcesAndMoments(Nothing, swEntityPoint, swEntityArray, 1, errCode)

Thanks!

Andrew Paino

Attilio, or anyone else that may be able to help.

I am attempting to do nearly the same thing as George in his original post, and am having a bit of trouble getting this macro to run. I've used your original code and the updates you suggested, and am getting a mismatch error in the last line. Any thoughts? The code is below.

PS: I've changed the number of the study to match what my document contains and that appears to be working correctly. I've also confirmed there is a named entity within my document called "NewFaceName."

Dim swApp As Object

Sub main()

Set swPart = swApp.ActiveDoc 'Assumes the active document is a part file

Set CWObject = swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation")

Set Study = StudyMngr.GetStudy(3) 'This a zero-index array of the for the number of the study tab in the model

Set swEntityFace = swPart.GetEntityByName("NewFaceName", 2)

swEntityArray = Array(swEntityFace)  'This is a 1 item array but must be in this form for the GetStressForEntities3 call

ErrorCodeEnum = Study.RunAnalysis 'Study must be meshed and ready to run at this point (outside of this macro)

'Component 9 is vonMises, face position 0 is Total top (bending + membrane), 1 is bottom

vonMises = cwResults.GetStressForEntities3(True, 9, 1, Nothing, swEntityArray, 1, 0, 0, False, ErrorCodeEnum)

End Sub

Attilio Colangelo

The short answer:

Dim ErrorCodeEnum As Long

ErrorCodeEnum needs to be declared because it will be returning a value (an error code)

The long answer:

It's probably a good idea to declare all the variables and their types.  Helps with debugging and stability.  Something like:

Dim swEntityFace As SldWorks.Face2

Dim swEntityArray As Variant

Dim ErrorCodeEnum As Long

Dim cwResults As CosmosWorksLib.cwResults

Dim Study As CosmosWorksLib.CWStudy

If that is my original code I probably came to this conclusion after a lot of trial and error.

Andrew Paino

Attilio,

Thank you for responding, and sorry about my delay in getting back to you. That was indeed a modified version of your original code.

The root of all of my problems was that I had not added Solidworks Simulation 2015 type library as a reference within the IDE.

For anyone else this may help, below is the final code that runs smoothly:

Option Explicit

Dim swApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swPart          As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Sub main()

Dim COSMOSWORKS     As CosmosWorksLib.COSMOSWORKS

Dim cwResults       As CosmosWorksLib.cwResults

Dim Study           As CosmosWorksLib.CWStudy

Dim swEntityFace    As SldWorks.Face2

Dim swEntityArray   As Variant

Dim CWObject        As Object

Dim ErrorCodeEnum   As Long

Dim ActDoc          As Object

Dim StudyMngr       As Object

Dim vonMises()      As Variant

Set swPart = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set CWObject = swApp.GetAddInObject("SldWorks.Simulation")

'This a zero-index array for the number of the study tab in the model, update this to reference a particular study

Set Study = StudyMngr.GetStudy(3)

'Be sure you have a face named "NewFaceName"

Set swEntityFace = swPart.GetEntityByName("NewFaceName", 2)

'This is a 1 item array but must be in this form for the GetStressForEntities3 call

swEntityArray = Array(swEntityFace)

'Study must be meshed and ready to run at this point (outside of this macro)

ErrorCodeEnum = Study.RunAnalysis

End Sub