2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 1:07 PM by robert dattilo

Transfer to Work Pdm

robert dattilo

Hello;

We have been working on a network drive, & there’s SW files that go back to around 2001.
      We’re trying to go to the workgroup pdm but do it gradually; in a sense from
      hence forth. We have 5 or 6  active users but only 4 pdm accessible licenses. We may purchase another professional
      liscense. We have thousands of files and they go back really to the maybe the eighties,
      so things were converted etc., as early as 2001.

My question is have people gone about it this way successfully. I mean the just putting the toe in the
      water approach. I’m a bit concerned that will have two sources of intelligence
      with these files. The network drive, & this new vault. But while it’s
      obviously better to have one main area, having all these files makes it a bit unpractical
      to grab all this old stuff that we may never use. They also have references
      floating all over the network.

I’ve seen changes from the board to a cad system to another cad system & for the most part I believe
      people would say going to the pdm is the right way to go, but I’m wondering how
      people have gone about the change.  At this point we would probably only financially support the workgroup pdm.

Thanks in advance
      for any input.

Rob_D 2014 sp4.  

• Re: start new post
          Greg Rupp

We had pretty good luck keeping the old and the new separate.  Once we migrated all the files into the vault, we make the network locations read-only for 1 year. Then we removed access to the network locations completely. We still have all the data, but not accessible to anyone but IT.

In my opinion it should be all or nothing. If you don't force everyone to use the WPDM you will run into file management issues as well as process issues.

We knew our data was a complete mess, so we just copied everything into our vault as is. We have a "Legacy" folder, "Projects" and a "Production" folder. All Pre-go-live files were copied into the "legacy" folder. All new designs would go to the "production" folder or the "Projects" folder. We did that for a number of reasons, the biggest reason was to denote any file in the "Legacy" folder had to get updated to before it could move over to the production folder. That actually worked out pretty good because the files only got updated if a revision was made to them.

I do believe our key to success was a full switch over and to force the new process.

Good Luck!