1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 12:08 PM by Keith Rice

usability of forum

David Tiefenbrunn

On another thread there was discussion about the lack of usability of the new forum.  Specific suggestions were asked for as to how to improve the forum.

1.  Get rid of the low contrast colors for all text.
      2.  The rest is layout, naming, and organization and clutter - The best I can do is give a couple of examples of forums I find much easier to use, which are linked below.

Ultimate Subaru Message Board

https://forum.419eater.com/forum/

These 2 forums are completely unrelated, yet navigating them is clear and straightforward.  I've also participated in many other online forums that [I'm guessing] use the same software as the 2 above, and none of them are as frustrating as the total of 2 forums that I visit that are from / running Jive software.

• Re: usability of forum
          Keith Rice

On the topic of usability, here's another question to consider: should SolidWorks be using a forum at all? Forums are designed for discussion, not solving problems per se. Problems can be solved in forums, but with much less efficiency, as I explain here. It's like using a tire iron to hammer a nail.

Jive is a business collaboration / social media platform. That's part of why there's so many bells and whistles. Jive is designed to solve a different problem than SolidWorks users that come to the forums have. It is my opinion that until the forums are converted to a Q&A site like StackOverflow.com, the usability problems will always be inherent.