3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 7:44 AM by Brendan Shute

Printing line thickness

Brendan Shute

I am having some issues with my line thickness when I print or save to PDF versus print to PDF.  I have attached a comparison between the two, with test.pdf being the drawing I get if I print to sheet or save to PDF and test2.pdf the drawing I get from printing to PDF using CutePDF.  test2 is the correct version.  Most notable are the lack of difference to the heavy boarder lines and stamp boarder thickness.  It appears though Solidworks is not plotting drawing thicknesses when printing or saving to PDF although I am unsure why.  All settings are identical between methods, and I have used the printer in AutoCAD to check its ability to plot correct line weights, where there was no problem.

• Re: Printing line thickness
          Glenn Schroeder

That's been a long-standing issue with SolidWorks, and you can find a number of discussions here on the subject.  I typically save to pdf first, then look at the result.  It's usually okay, but when it isn't then I print to pdf instead.  It's gotten better in recent years.

Jamil Snead

I almost never print to PDF so I am unfamiliar with the settings for it. But I do notice that the resolution is different between the two files. test.pdf scaled at 100% seems to match test2.pdf scaled at 200%. It might not make a difference but I wonder if the resolutions were the same if the line weights might look more similar.

Brendan Shute

Jamil this may be since the drawing template is A1, however almost everything I physically print is A3 hence the save to PDF sheet size will be the native A1, whereas the print to PDF sheet size is A3.  Probably should have mentioned that in the original post.  I am currently working at home for now and this problem has started since using a different printer that I would regularly use at my office.

Glenn that's what I have resorted to doing, however its a massive pain when I have about 300 drawings to print, it would be nice to quickly press print and getting the right format coming out of the printer