14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 5:48 PM by Thys Coetzee

Conditional manipulation of EPDM variables

Harry Li

Hello, I am fairly new to EPDM and am trying to implement a data card which allows for the user to select specific multi-line notes which would be automatically be added to drawing templates.  Right now, I am able to load the notes into separate variables using multi-line editboxes and then hiding them so they do not appear in the UI, but I am having trouble getting the logic implemented so that the user can select a specific note, and have that multi-line note stored in a variable attributed to a customproperty.  Does anyone know how I would be able to accomplish this?  Thank you.

• Re: Conditional manipulation of EPDM variables
          Adrian Velazquez

Harry, could you provide some screen captures and/or more detail, II cannot quite understand where you're stuck...

Harry Li

I have attached a screenshot of the data card I'm working with, although I'm not sure how much it would help.  As you can see, I have 3 different categories that the user is able to select; Machined Parts, Molded Parts, and Sheet Metal Parts.  Each individual category has its own associated string of text, which have multiple lines (i.e. I cannot use the normal "controlled by variable" option because it only accepts single-line inputs).  What I want to happen is when a user selects one of these categories, the correct text/description is loaded into a variable and then I can use $PRPSHEET in the drawing template to call that variable.

I'm not sure if this is the best method to accomplish this; if you have any other suggestions, I am open to them.  Basically the end result is I want the user to be able to select one of the 3 categories and have the associated text displayed on a drawing template.  Thanks for your time.

Adrian Velazquez

Harry,

Unfortunately there is no way to push alternate text to a Variable's value based only on form input (Data Card), so you will need two Variables or at least two Custom Properties. One to capture "Part Type"(What you're showing already) and another to capture the actual Note Text. .

To automate the Note Text value the simplest way would be to setup a Dispatch.  This Dispatch would read your "Part Type", then with a IF (Jump) statement you can set the Value of the Note Text Property in the Drawing file.

Michael Dekoning

Harry,

You could use controlled tabs to accomplish this. Create a tab for each category and choose "Controlled by variable" and select the variable tied to your radio buttons (which by the way should not be on the tabs control). On each tab then place an editbox control with the specific note. You can make it read only to avoid having a user modify it.Tabs for Notes.png

Jim Sculley

Change it to a drop down and use an aliased list.

Jim S.

Adrian Velazquez

Aliased Lists don't support Multiline Text.

Matthew Phaneuf

Hi Harry, welcome to the Forum!

to get what you want can be accomplished through lists and Control Logic in the Data Card. Use your Help tool (within ePDM, not SW) to find these topics, they do pretty well giving examples of each. Lists help you whittle down the info, which you can repeat back with a pre-filled "note" (Tab) and control logic is amazing, not just "yes/no" or "on/off". You can search and sort based on criteria like Text, numeric values, etc.

I recently attended an ePDM Admin training course for my second time where we talked about a couple examples quite similar to yours. This class is something you may want to look into attending. I've attended twice b/c you pay for the first training,, and by doing so, in the remaining 6 months, they allow you to attend again, which brings a whole new perspective. Before you learn too much the wrong way, try to attend (get your company to pay and send you). You'll also meet other (mostly) new people in the same position as you, and they will become great Allies as time goes on! While waiting for your training, ask your VAR for the "Administering Solidworks Enterprise PDM" training book (from the class)

MattP

Harry Li

Hi Matt,

I have attempted to use lists and control logic in order to implement this, but what I have found was that even though you could use control logic to "hide" or "grey out" a particular editbox, whether tabbed or not, the variable associated with the editbox still stores the specified default value.  So what ends up happening is the variable always ends up with the value from the last editbox.  And you're right, I would've never been able to even get off the ground without the ePDM help/references.  I was eventually able to come to a solution using Dispatch scripts; although I do run into a character limit issue. 

I may look to attend a training course at some point in the future, as I'm still attending school at this point and just working over break.  Thanks for the help!

Thys Coetzee

I developed a way to have standard options available for standard notes, as well as allowing for customized notes in any of the standard categories.  This uses completely standard PDM components.  It's a bit tricky to describe in here, but I am happy to pass on the ideas in an email.  This methodology does need quite a number of variables to manage all the data.

Regards,

Thys