4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 11:28 AM by Jared Conway

Simulating rotation as a result of flow

Segun Oshin

Hi, I have a question regarding Flow Simulation in SW. I am new to it so I'm trying to get an understanding of what is possible.

Suppose I have a water turbine design and I want to find out how good my design is - Is it possible to simulate the rotation speed of the turbine given various velocities of water through the turbine? Is it possible to actually simulate rotation at all? In the tutorials I have found so far, the user would *set it up* to rotate and give it a direction, as opposed to having it rotate *as a result of* the flow. Is this even possible with any of the CFD analysis software currently available?

Thanks!

• Re: Simulating rotation as a result of flow
          Amit Katz

Flow Sim does not simulate fluid-structure interaction, so the short answer is "no". I'm not 100% positive, but I think there may be software out there with this capability, ANSYS most likely. Flow Simulation will allow you to take your model and run it as a pump, that may give you some insight as to the effectiveness of your design.

Segun Oshin

Thanks for your response, Amit.

I have been looking into exporting from SolidWorks to other software too, and I've seen some papers where they have done something similar in ANSYS. In my search, another application that I'm now almost certain can do it is Autodesk Simulation. I just don't know if I can export SolidWorks geometry to either ANSYS or Autodesk Simulation.

Amit Katz

You could always use generic parametric file formats such as IGES or STEP to get the geometry into another software package.

Jared Conway

could you elaborate on the actual application?

i've seen a lot of customers use flow simulation to specify a flow rate and then a rotation to a component to understand how they would perform based on the direction of net torque. it is actually outlined as a methodology in the solidworks KB from the developers.

but that being said, in flow simulation 2015 there are really 2 options:

1. frozen rotor

2. sliding mesh

there currently isn't a moving mesh option if that is what you need specifically