8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 3:04 PM by Jared Conway

difference Solidworks Flow Simulation and Fluent

Yohan Prasetya

I need a journal or website link or your opinion, about the difference fluent with SolidWorks flow simulation.

I need an explanation of the basic differences advance of FLUENT software and SolidWorks, starting from how to make mesh, why on solidwork automatic mesh-shaped box? whether it can be changed into other forms such as triangles or hexagons as possible in the manufacture of mesh in FLUENT?

how to determine the boundary condition when I simulated a circular cylinder?

I read in a forum discussion, someone who says that the simulation flow solidwork more user friendly than the Fluent? is it true?

what is the reason Solidworks more user friendly?

when there are journals, resource manuals, websites, blogs or even a video link? I beg of you all the info.

Thank you for your attention and your information,

• Re: difference Solidworks Flow Simulation and Fluent
          Jared Conway

hi yohan, this is a really general/generic question

could you elaborate on what your goal is in understanding these differences? are you in the presales process trying to decide on a tool? if so, i would highly recommend talking to your reseller who will be able to discuss with you directly about your questions.

what types of analyses will you be doing?

in the end, before we go too deep:

1. if you are using solidworks, flow simulation is the tool to use, it is integrated inside solidworks and will have a better user experience

2. often people look at CFD tools and see cost and associate cost with accuracy. solidworks simulation tools have all been validated, otherwise no one would buy them. and those that create them wouldn't put them on the market if they weren't accurate and weren't able to help the customer

3. regarding the methods used to solve the problem, they all solve them in similar ways, if you really want to dig in, they are fully documented. but see item 2, does it matter if the software is providing you good accurate results?

4. the only time you should be comparing software is if one software has a feature that you want that you need. for example i believe fluent has HPC functionality (at additional cost), if that is important, how much are you willing to pay for it? is it worth it? the other situation would be additional physics. for example if you need fluid/structure interaction or free surface, then maybe flow isn't the tool for you.

hope this points you in the right direction. if you search for tools like fluent or CFX or autodesk simulation you'll find very similar discussions.

• Re: difference Solidworks Flow Simulation and Fluent
              Yohan Prasetya

Hi Jared, thanks for the information

I want to do is look at the difference between Solidworks flow simulation with Fluent, because I'm doing a simulation with SolidWorks but the lecturer asked me to show the difference between Fluent with SolidWorks flow simulation, and why I chose to use solidwork,

from here I am confused to explain, because I know, I am quite difficult to learn fluent than SolidWorks.

Therefore, at this forum I would like to know whether the difference solidwork flow simulation with fluent?

why it is called more user friendly by some people ??

if I create a mesh, geometry, determination of all parameters together with Fluent?

whether there is an selection in the form of mesh solidwork?

parameters for the external flow, whether different input with Fluent ??

when there are elections in FLUENT geometry models such as K-epsilon, K-Omega, K-Epsilon reliable and more, whether in SolidWorks Flow simulation there is also the choice of geometry?

whether differences solidwork flow simulation with Fluent,
              and what the benefits of SolidWorks?