6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 11:50 PM by Deepak Gupta

Simple API Help

Greg Raymond

Hello I am using a Macro currently that does a bounding box feature, I got this from a user here. I am looking to add a little more to it now, however I don't know how API works. I am somewhat experienced with C and C++ language, and can kind of sort understand the program language, however getting info out of SolidWorks, I don't know what's the protocol.

What I am trying to accomplish is to add a new property that is dependent on the material. So I just need about 6 If's statements. Kinda copying and pasting what I have in the macro, this is what I am trying to achieve.

retval = Part.AddCustomInfo3(ConfigName, "Treatment", swCustomInfoText)                                   // Adds a new property called "Treatment" in the Properties > Configuration Specific

If getPartMaterial = "A2" Then                                                                                                             // Check for the part material (I don't know what function to use here)

retval = Part.AddCustomInfo3(ConfigName, "Treatment", swCustomInfoText, "R/C 56 MIN")          // If the material is A2, then it will fill the text with "R/C 56 MIN"

End if

That's what I am basically trying to achieve, I just need some fine tuning because API is not familiar to me. Thanks.

• Re: Simple API Help
          Greg Raymond

Playing around with it more I got some of it down. I just need to retrieve the Material property off the part file.

retval = Part.DeleteCustomInfo2(ConfigName, "Treatment")

If (Need help here!!!)

retval = Part.AddCustomInfo3(ConfigName, "Treatment", swCustomInfoText, "R/C 56 MIN")

End If

Deepak Gupta

Try adding/using these codes:

Dim sMatName                    As String

Dim sMatDB                      As String

Dim swPart                      As SldWorks.PartDoc

Set swPart = swModel

sMatName = swPart.GetMaterialPropertyName2("Default", sMatDB)

If sMatName = "A2" Then

swModel.CustomInfo2(Configuration, "Treatment") = "R/C 56 MIN"

End If

Though custominfo2  is an obsolete property but works. Using custominfo2 you can change the value of the existing property instead of deleting it and re-adding it.

Greg Raymond

Thanks! That works like a charm. Now is there any way to add the "Treatment" property in there? It's in the template of the part but just in case someone deletes it or we take an old part with an old template.

Deepak Gupta

It would be better to assign a new variable say Value

Dim Value                          As string

Set swPart = swModel

Select Case sMatName

Case "A2"

Value = "R/C 56 MIN"

Case add other checks here

actions for other cases here

Case Else

use only if an action is required when no match is found

End Select

If swModel.CustomInfo2(Configuration, "Treatment") = "" Then

retval = swModel.AddCustomInfo3(Configuration, "Treatment", swCustomInfoText, Value)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo2(Configuration, "Treatment") = Value

End If

Matt Martens

In your original post you mentioned having 6 if statements. Instead of having 6 ifs, use a select case statement.

Expanding on Deepak's code it would look like this

Set swPart = swModel

Select Case sMatName

Case "A2"

swModel.CustomInfo2(Configuration, "Treatment") = "R/C 56 MIN"

Case add other checks here

actions for other cases here

Case Else

use only if an action is required when no match is found

End Select

End If

You can have as many cases as you like. Just keep adding them in.