2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 10:43 AM by Alan Thomason

Bouncing assembly

Alan Thomason

I have created a very simple assembly for the purpose of better understanding how to approach a more complex problem.  I have a mechanism for which I wish to simulate an impact, but also settles together and then needs to simulate friction. 

So, a cube is shown dropping onto a plate.  I wish to have the cube bounce and have it come to rest.  I have tried all three solvers available, as well as various combinations of materials.  So far, I am unable to achieve both.  If anyone has any hints it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

• Re: Bouncing assembly
          Robert D.

What exactly is the problem your trying to figure out?

• Re: Bouncing assembly
              Alan Thomason

The end goal is a more realistic simulation of a door latch mechanism, which involves impact contacts, but also sliding and static friction on the same surfaces.  I was going back to a rudimentary scenario in hopes of learning lessons that I could apply to the more complex scenario.  I got stuck quite early on with the cube bouncing pretty realistically but then having the cube sit and spin on top of the plate.  Since my goal was to combine a coefficient of restitution and contact friction anyway, I wanted to put friction in place, assuming that the cube will then come to a rest. 

Attempts to have both friction and coefficient of restitution in place simultaneously have thus far not been successful, with the simulation crashing as soon as contact is made.