5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2007 2:22 PM by Vince Adams

FEA Basics

Ranga Narasimhan
      Hi all,

I am new to CosmosWorks as well as generic FEA. How far is it essential to know the FEA theoritics to get a good hold on analysis stuff. Can i just go through the cosmos help stuff or should i refer to any FEA books before i step in?

• FEA Basics
          Peter Gillespie
          If you are pretty good with new software, my recommendation would be this:

Play in COSMOS, going through the tutorials and maybe try something simple yourself. That will give you an idea of what you're getting into.
          Then you will want to get some type of training, whether a class, or self taught through a book. You'll have a little bit of an idea of what's going on since you already did the tutorials. Knowing the theory behind FEA is good, but the biggest challenge with COSMOS is accurately defining constraints, restraints, and loads. And that simply takes an engineering mind plus experience, at least from what I can tell!
            • FEA Basics
              USING COSMOS is not a problem.
              if you define loads and restraints properly u will get good results
              FEA and strengh of materials concepts will help you validate your design.
                • FEA Basics
                  Vince Adams
                  COSMOSWorks is easy! Getting the analysis assumptions right and interpreting the results correctly isn't! I wouldn't start with FEA theory. I'd look for more practical resources on modeling techniques, inputs and results interpretation.

Try these resources:
                  COSMOS Companion notes: www.solidworks.com/Companion
                  NAFEMS: A Finite Element Primer (www.nafems.org)
                  Building Better Products with Finite Element Analysis (try Amazon.com)
                  Find a local COSMOS User Group

Additionally, get some training and don't accept results when you first get started as a "given". There are more ways to get analysis results wrong than right and the wrong answers look alot like the right answers! Take some time to explore how your answers change when you change your restraints, loads and other assumptions. Use this forum to pose more specific questions. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Get together with others in your company that may be doing FEA and talk to them about your modeling assumptions.

Enough for now?

Good luck!