13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 5:39 PM by John Burrill

What do you buy a SW Engineer for Christmas?

Robert D.

What would you like for Christmas that deals with SW and Engineering?

• Re: What do you buy a SW Engineer for Christmas?
          Tony Cantrell

3D mouse, Training courses.

Roland Schwarz

Anyone holding the title "SW Engineer" would not be on my list.

1 person found this helpful
              Joe Kuzich

1)     A cute intern... no that might cause too much trouble, better stick with a competent one. 

2)     faster processor

3)     more memory (for PC, mine is shot)

4)     training (as previously mentioned)

5)     peppermint schnapps (tis the season) or a good smooth sipping whiskey

6)     cant forget more time off

Andrew Kronquist

You buy him/her a 3D printer like I bought myself a couple years ago.

Adrian Velazquez

Here is my list from lower to highest price (I think)

• Gunnar Computer/Gaming Glasses
                  • Certification Voucher
                  • 3D Mouse
                  • RAM
                  • SolidProfessor Subscription
                  • 27" Monitor
                  • A Graphics Card (Nvidia K4000)
                  • SW WORLD Pass
                  • Power Surface Add-In
                  • MODO 801
                  • Surface Pro 3 w/ Citrix to remote into your desktop Workstation
                  • 3D Printer
                  • Dell M3800
                  • BOXX Workstation (w/overclocked CPU)
                    Justin Harwell

1) Gunnar Glasses, before them I had eye twitch and headaches, they really do work.

2) SpacePro Mouse, can cut my work time in almost half.

3) Tips and tricks books, when you stop learning you stop living.

4) A SSD, in my case the hard drive is what is dragging my computer.

5) solidworks approved graphics card, solidworks updates so should your computer.

6) PAID time-off!

7) A comfy chair

Need Stocking stuffers?

Ram

new egg gift card

and a pass to the next solidworks world

I feel the need to note that on monitors, it is not necessarily about the size the monitor but the quality, check the gamut.  It is needed to reach the color I need for photoview,.

Paul Cullen

An all expenses paid trip to SWW2015

Roland Schwarz

Drop a honey-dipped marketing manager into a fire ant colony.

John Burrill

It looks like SolidWorks stopped selling swag at their online store, so shirts, coffee cups, bags and other keepsake items aren't available any more.  That's too bad. I still have some of my SolidWorks shirts from 2000 and I always want more.  Contact your VAR, they usually have this kind of stuff laying around for give-aways.  If you upgrade a seat or renew your subscription at the same time, they might throw some of that in.

You know, if you're an engineering director, and you want to get your engineers something fun and at the same time, justifiable for your organization, sending them to SolidWorks World should get you a squeals of delight.   The downside is that's $800 per head plus travel and hotel (food and drinks are, for the most part, included)

There are a couple of really good books on SolidWorks, if you want to encourage a designer to break into new a territory like API, rendering or animation.  Figure $40-100 for that.

A 3D Mouse is nice if you know the engineer wants one.  Some people shrug at them, They cost between $100 and $500.

SolidProfessor offers some good online training programs for about $300 per year.  They're hands-on with demonstrations of key subjects and much better quality than you'll usually find on YouTube.

You might also think of getting them a supporting program like MathCAD or Able2Extract, Snagit, Camtasia to make converting and communicating CAD data easier.

Finally, don't underestimate things that make working at a computer easier: work lamps, good chairs, foot rests, a second monitor if they only have one (although, these days, that's a rarity).

Things I would stay away from:

USB Drives: these are turning into the same class of desk junk as laser pointers and mouse-pads.  Everyone has 10 of them and in the age of Dropbox and Skydrive, they're not the lifesaver's they once were.

Hats: I am sick of hats.  I have 10 SolidWorks baseball caps and I don't wear them.  Hats are the consolation prizes for people that don't win anything in the raffle.

Pens: OK, I have one awesome cartridge pen, and it came with my SolidWorks CSWP folio and it's heavy, machined anodized aluminum and if anyone borrows it, they don't go more than 3 feet from me.  But I also get 3 Bic, or worse,plastic faux Cross Pens at every rollout and nothing is worse than a cheap pen quitting on you while you're using it.

Massage balls, stress squeeze toys, multi-color LED icecubes and miniature drones, key rings and bottle openers-again, more debris from the Dotcom boom of 2000.  We're not nostalgic about that yet.

SOLIDWORKS for Dummies: I don't have anything against the For Dummies books per se.  They're great for an amateur trying to get started on their own and while a gainfully-employed engineer may find it useful, being given a For Dummies book sounds like  referendum on their abilities and the SolidWorks For Dummies book in particular was printed in 2005 and is so tediously basic, that they can't give it away.  Seriously, your VAR has twenty of these in their store room.

Having said that, any gift of good will and appreciation should be well received.