10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2015 10:25 PM by Jared Conway

what is meaning of this pressure?

Qi Hongming

please see attachment, Could you tell me what's meaning of this pressure? is this total pressure or static pressure or others?  I only know inlet air pressure is 1.13bar(a), how to input?

air will flow through 10 meter pipe and I want to calculate the pressure drop? please help

• Re: what is meaning of this pressure?
          Seckin Uslu

That value is enviromental pressure. You should define 1.13 bar inlet air pressure with boundry conditionals

Qi Hongming

Thanks a lot, how to set up 1.13bar(a)?  it is total pressure or static pressure? and how to calculate the pressure drop?

Qi Hongming

pressure setup 2.jpghowever this attachment is from flow simulation tutorial(heat exchanger efficiency example),  if the value is enviromental pressure, why set up 2 atm?

Jared Conway

initial conditions are initial conditions, that is the value every cell starts with and the final result will be the pressure that the solution iterates to

all pressure in solidworks simulation is static pressure unless specified otherwise. and it is absolute pressure, not gauge.

in your case, setting this pressure will simply shorten the length of the simulation vs affect the results. (unless for some reason you don't let it converge, then it might come up short and have a wrong number)

for the definition of your problem, remember that in flow you have 2 classifications of problems, inlet flow and outlet pressure or pressure inlet and pressure outlet. in the first case your output is the pressure at the inlet in the second case your output is the flow rate. based on your description you will want to set the first. you could use an outlet volume flow rate and inlet pressure but this would not be recommended by the developers as per the documentation. and based on your pressure, i would choose an inlet total pressure. or environmental pressure would also work since inlet flows with environmental pressure are total pressures. (outlet are static)

i'd recommend going through the solidworks KB on this topic as there are lots of articles that will help you better understand this.