9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 7:13 PM by Jamil Snead

System Options Dialogue Box Cut Off

Mike Bosscher

I just got a Dell M4800 running windows 7 (really like it so far), but the one complaint I have is that when I open the System Options dialogue box, the buttons are nearly completely hidden behind the windows task bar at the bottom of the screen. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: System Options Dialogue Box Cut Off
          Kelvin Lamport

One simple solution would be to set the Task Bar to auto-hide.

Show or hide the taskbar - Windows Help

Mike Bosscher

Ideally I'd like to be able to see the whole dialogue box without hiding the task bar, but I think that's gonna have to wait till I get an external monitor or two setup. This works well in the meantime; thanks Kevin.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Mike,

What resolution is the screen set to and can it go any higher? It appears that it must be at a vertical height of 800 or a bit less and we design the software to work best at resolutions above 800px height.

Thanks,

Jim

Jamil Snead

This happens to me on my laptop at home, which has a resolution of 1366 x 768.

Mike Bosscher

Thanks Jamil; mine's at the same; 1366 x 768. What would you suggest setting it to Jim?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Mike,

Is there a resolution that has a larger height than 768? If so, choose one that has a larger pixel height and still gives you the proper aspect ratio for your monitor size. If not, I'm afraid the only workaround for now is to auto-hide the Start bar as Kelvin suggests.

I see on the DELL website that FHD (1920x1080) is a $56 option and QHD+ (3200x1800) is a $175 option. So hopefully you have at least 1920x1080 available. Going up to 3200x1800 you would have to run with Windows scaling and there are some issues running SOLIDWORKS with Windows scaling, so I would suggest less than 3200x1800 if you see issues running with Windows scaling at that resolution.

Thanks,

Jim

Mike Bosscher

No, unfortunately there's not; I was hoping you'd have another work around. I suppose this will just have to serve as motivation to get a few more monitors up and running. Thanks gentlemen.

Mike

Jim Wilkinson

Just in case others find this thread, I just want to state that if you plan to purchase a DELL M4800 or similar machine and plan to use SOLIDWORKS on the built-in monitor, it will definitely be worth paying at least the $56 for the FHD monitor to get the 1920x1080 resolution.

That being said, I'm investigating internally if we can possibly set a new guideline for our maximum dialog height. The currently selected height was chosen when there were rarely monitors with less than 800 pixel height, and even rarer for SOLIDWORKS users to use them. But with the new wide aspect ratio monitors, it seems 768 height is more common.

If others are reading this thread and running 768 height, please comment to say so. When commenting, it would be good to know if:

1. 768 is the maximum height resolution possible on your monitor or
                                      2. You can run at a higher resolution, but choose to run at 768. If so, please comment on why you choose to run at that resolution.

These answers will help us decide whether we need to make any adjustments, and if so, what approach we use, because to do it, we somehow have to modify the dialog to fit the content since the height of the dialogs are chosen to fit all of the content. It may mean rearranging the content on pages or adding new pages to the options dialog to fit the content.

Thanks,

Jim

1 person found this helpful