9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 6:18 PM by John Burrill

Where do I start with recreating this chair?

Daniel Lau

Hello everyone,

I have recently been tasked with recreating this chair by a potential employer.

http://umods.ru/files/styles/600x400/public/2013-07//talma-chair-moroso-hubert-2-decon-600x399.jpg?itok=hzLmmJo2

http://www.moroso.it/wp-content/uploads/catalogogenerale/PU_Talma_02.jpg 

The inner wire-frame of the chair I have previous experience with, so should be able to handle.

However, they have also asked to create the textured surface too, and apply it to the inner frame to complete the finished model.

Can anyone offer advice on how I would even begin to do this?

Thanks

• Re: Where do I start with recreating this chair?
          Robert D.

I would model it first then use keyshot or another rendering software to get the texture your looking for.

Dwight Livingston

See attached model. Probably you'll find the sketch/sketch projection idea the most useful.

I modeled the twisted cords, but really you'll be a lot better off sweeping just a circle and adding the twisted look as a decal.

Dwight

Daniel Lau

The fact that you've managed to quickly create that model is really impressive. It's been about 6 months since I last used SW sadly, and I need to complete this by Thursday, so I'm frantically trying to reteach myself the principles of SW and 3D sketching.

Your quick model is very good though regarding how I will set about constructing the chairs inner-frame.

The leather straps and fabric cover, sadly, still remain a bit of a puzzle to me! I need to recreate the chair as accurately as possible, so no decals I don't think.

Daniel Lau

anyone have any ideas please?

Brian Titus

Weldment.  AKA 3D Sketching.

John Burrill

First, as a precaution, if you are doing this as a contest submittal for someone you met on Odesk, beware, that they may try to take your work, use it for their advertising and manufacturing initiatives and never call you again.  This isn't a straight-forward design task-as you've discovered from the comments left for you; it's not the kind of work SolidWorks is intended for and it's not right for an employer to expect you do do this kind of work gratis.  

End of suspicions and concerns.

One possibility is that they are looking for the industrial design and not the manufacturing drawings for this.  For ID, especially for furniture and cloth, designers will usually start with a mesh-based application like Modo or Maya.  These programs have simulation modules that realistically represent cloth stretch folding and other soft-body effects and trying to generate the same effects in Nurbs based modeler like SolidWorks requires a monster of a machine and even then, it may be a fools task..

Once the design is committed to manufacturing, the ID files become the starting point to create the cut and stitch patterns-usually with the help of specially written add-ons that can flatten general surfaces.

Since you don't have time to learn Modo, I'm going to give you a couple of pieces of advice for creating complex surface bodies

1. create masses for your cushions and pads.  These are going to be squashed cylinders and tubes for the most part.
                    2. create a 3D sketch and using splines and lines, connect by tangent points every pair of surfaces that had fabric stretching between them.  These are going to form the rails for your base geometry.  Your goal is to make a quilt of connecting 4-sided loops
                    3. In each region, create a boundary surface.  Where you have adjacent regions, use boundary surface edges instead of the underlying sketch segments to construct the four sided figure.
                    4. Where you have regions with 3 or 5 or more curves, use fill surfaces to connect them.
                    5. You're going to wind up with a patchwork of surfaces, but if you take advantage of tangent and curvature conditions, when you render, it should look pretty good
                    6. The cutaway fabric texture is a bigger problem.  SolidWorks doesn't have really sophisticated UV Unwrapping, so while you can make a the fabric pattern image and apply it to the model, the individual cuts probably won't look like they're part of the cloth.  Overall, it might give the impression of the texture being overlaid on the rendered chair.

Good luck.