AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to make the equation to reference other parts but only "Sub-Assembly"

Question asked by Charlie Fan on Dec 15, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 by Charlie Fan

Hi Everyone,

It is nice to have equation being able to refer to value from other part, for example, we can use "DimName@SketchName@PartName.part" to link the value from another part within the same assembly.

However, as we know, in a large assembly, there can be sub-assemblies, sub-assembly can also have further sub-assemblies... Is there a way to restrain the equation to refer to dimension within a sub-assembly?

For example, I made a smart assembly of a window frame, when the window is of different size, the window frame will change its shape and number of bars in it. When I try to drag and drop this smart assembly into a house, when I try to put each of the assembly on to the wall, I want these assemblies to suit different windows so each of them will be different. However, when I actually tried this, those equations force all the window frame assemblies to be the same. I figured out that it is because those assembly part files have same name, and those equations link them together, which is something I don't want. It could be fixed if we limit that the equation only take effect within the sub-assembly.

Is there a way to do this? Thank you all.

Outcomes