2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 1:25 AM by Mike Pogue

Parts as unique, individual 'parts'

Sydney Shaw

Hi all.

I am new to solid works - I have used Pro/Engineer for over 6 years however, and am looking to migrate!

I am in need of some advice / help / guidance...

A component, for example a piece of timber, that you want to add into an assembly numerous times at different lengths (but using the same part number within its parameters) - can this be done??

Every time i insert a part into an assembly and try and edit the cut of it to alter the length, all of the parts change to be that size!

This was something that I was able to do with ease on Pro/E.

Parts inserted into assemblies came in with a 'part number' within the assembly,

ie. ASM01_01.prt

Inserting the part again would then create this:

ASM01_02.prt.

There is now two parts in the assembly, both the same in their unedited state, but both unique.

It was like having two physical objects that were able to be modified - just because you saw one in half, doesn't mean the other should suddenly be cut in half also !!??

The have the same part number because they are the same object just at different lengths.

Does this make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThankS.

:-)

ps. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread - new to this forum and have researched but trying to brief the question is somewhat difficult.