3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 3:13 PM by Jamil Snead

How to mate parts to references that move due to flexible subassemblies?

Andrew Wolf

I'm having trouble figuring out how to mate parts within an assembly in which the references themselves can move due to hinges or parts being defined as flexible subassemblies.

Take this toolbox as an example in the photo below:  The lid is hinged from the back, the center hasp is hinged (and defined as a flexible subassembly so it can move), and the two latches each have a hinged moving parts which are also defined as flexible subassemblies.

For the center padlock eye (the ring that a lock is inserted through), I want to mate it so that it is vertically centered within the opening of the hinged hasp WHEN the lid is in its closed position, and the hasp is hanging vertically down.  That's simple enough, but I don't want the padlock eye to move when I open the lid or swing the hasp around its hinge. 

For now, my not-so-great solution is to orient the lid and hasp to their desired positions via mates (to be suppressed afterwards), measure the desired location of the padlock eye, and then to use a distance mate from a stationary part of the box to manually fix the padlock eye where I want it.  While this works, the distance will not update with changes to the model - for example, if I make the lid's vertical flanges longer... So it is far from an ideal situation.

Does anybody know how to mate the padlock eye in place so that it will be associative with changes to the model, but not be affected by changes in the hinge angles?

Box assembly.JPG

• Re: How to mate parts to references that move due to flexible subassemblies?
          Chris Christy

Unless I am mistaken in what you are wanting to do, can't you make a plane centered in your padlock eye, another plane centered in your hinged hasp? Then mate the two coincident? When you move the lids the planes should stay in the same plane and then if you ever move your Hasp for some reason the padlock eye would move with it.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding what you want.

Chris

Andrew Wolf

Hi Chris - thanks but no that will not work.  I do not want the padlock eye to move when the lid is opened or when the hasp hinge is moved.  Think of the padlock eye as something that will be welded into place during fabrication. 

The padlock eye should be fixed in a position that is determined by the locations of the lid and hasp when they are in the closed position.  But, it should be able to move if for example, the lid's flanges became longer or shorter, or if the hasp became longer or shorter, but rotations about the hinges should not affect its location. 

Jamil Snead

I think you could use assembly sketches and/or equations to achieve the association you want. For example, you can make a driven dimension for the distance from the top (or inside top) of the cover to the hinge pivot axis. Then sketch a line from the hing pivot axis to the center of the hasp opening and make a driven dimension on it. Finally you can sketch a line extending from the top of the box front going downward, and set the length equal to the sum of those other two dimensions. Then you know the padlock eye should be centered on the end of that line. Moving the lid and the hinge around shouldn't disrupt those sketches or driven dimensions, so I think it should work out ok.