AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to mate parts to references that move due to flexible subassemblies?

Question asked by Andrew Wolf on Dec 10, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 by Jamil Snead

I'm having trouble figuring out how to mate parts within an assembly in which the references themselves can move due to hinges or parts being defined as flexible subassemblies.

Take this toolbox as an example in the photo below:  The lid is hinged from the back, the center hasp is hinged (and defined as a flexible subassembly so it can move), and the two latches each have a hinged moving parts which are also defined as flexible subassemblies.

For the center padlock eye (the ring that a lock is inserted through), I want to mate it so that it is vertically centered within the opening of the hinged hasp WHEN the lid is in its closed position, and the hasp is hanging vertically down.  That's simple enough, but I don't want the padlock eye to move when I open the lid or swing the hasp around its hinge. 

For now, my not-so-great solution is to orient the lid and hasp to their desired positions via mates (to be suppressed afterwards), measure the desired location of the padlock eye, and then to use a distance mate from a stationary part of the box to manually fix the padlock eye where I want it.  While this works, the distance will not update with changes to the model - for example, if I make the lid's vertical flanges longer... So it is far from an ideal situation.

Does anybody know how to mate the padlock eye in place so that it will be associative with changes to the model, but not be affected by changes in the hinge angles?

Box assembly.JPG

Outcomes