3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 5:39 PM by Tracy Lau

Rendering glossy objects

Tracy Lau

Hi all,

I'm trying to render a glossy box enclosure. Essentially it's a black glossy material that should render similarly to an iphone.  

I've played around with different materials: medium gloss, high gloss, custom color. Added directional lights. I've checked out some different scenes (currently using black with fill lights). I've read these two similar discussions. From reading about the illumination settings I figure that I want a

high reflection, currently=.58

and

low specular spread, currently=.2

From the things I've tried I still can't get that glossy look, especially on the top of my box. This is what I have:

my box render.JPG

How do I get highlights on the top like this:

iphoner1.jpg

Or create a glossy look like the top of this iphone?

Iphone render 4 copy.jpg

When I get to work today, I'm thinking of

-checking out the kitchen environment to get the strong highlight

-creating a white flat rectangle with LED appearance over the box, or angled in a way so that it will reflect on the top of the box to create the highlight in the first image

Which one of these is a dead-end and which one of these options should I further investigate to get that glossy look?

Thank you!

• Re: Rendering glossy objects
          Michael Lord

Tracy,

Photoview uses the Environment (lights).  To create light reflections you need to choose an Environment to suit.

Render.JPG

To do so RMB>Scene>Edit Scene

Environment.PNG

Environment>Browse

I would look at the different Studio Environment as they are normally a defined light

Edit.PNG

RMB>Scene>Edit Scene>Advance>Environment Rotation

Position the Part (Drag until you can see the light on the part.) Then using Environment Rotation select the angle to suit.

Edit Scene.PNG

As for the reflective material you can cheat a little if required.  I use Metal>Chromium Plating.  Then edit material and change colour (Black)

I also use Glass and change the colour

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Rendering glossy objects
            Tracy Lau

Michael and Rob,

Thank you for your help! I am an admirer of your work and the SolidWorks rendering knowledge that you've both put out there for the rest of the community to learn from.

I was able to get it to work with a combination of the material and the environment, ended up using Chromium to get the reflective surface and 3-point beige for the reflections.