47 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2018 2:11 PM by Al Griego

How do I disable the rulers when editing a sheet format?

Phil Brewer

Since upgrading to 2015, whenever I edit a sheet format in a drawing, the rulers automatically turn on. The rulers toggle in the view menu is grayed and they cannot be turned off. When I exit the sheet format editing, the rulers turn back off on their own.

It's an annoyance to have the drawing jump around as the rulers turn on and off. I don't use them and don't need them.

Is there a way to disable this "feature"?

• Re: How do I disable the rulers when editing a sheet format?
          Mark Kaiser

Can you post a screen shot of the rulers?  What do you mean by having the drawing jump around? 

Jeff Holliday

I think what you are seeing is tied in with the new Zone Editor feature instead of being meant to be rulers. I have not found a way to turn them off either.

Patrick Gietzen

Hello Phil

Under the "View" menu tab there is a "Rulers" button at the bottom section of the tab. This allows the rulers to be turn on or off. Make sure that you are out of the sheet format to turn it off.

Patrick Gietzen

Phil

Sorry that my instructions did not work. I use to do the same thing on the older versions of SolidWorks and it has work before. My current version of SolidWorks version is SW 2015 SP 2.1 and I am currently having the same issue. I check with my SolidWorks representative about this issue and it was discussed that it just pop up as you said in the 2015 version and that SolidWorks is still working on the issue. Until more is known, it looks like we are stuck with the rulers on the sheet format screen until a new update to fix it.

Gerald Daniel

Here is how i fixed the remove zone parameters option.

1. open a new drawing from the start.
                  2. right click on drawing and click edit sheet format.
                  3. highlight the numbers and letters and delete.
                  4. save your work in default template.
                  5. when you open a new drawing the zones will not appear.
                  6. you should be good to go from here....
                    Gerald Daniel

the following steps will take care of your rulers....

1. open a drawing (new or old)
                    2. click on view
                    3. uncheck rulers
                    4. and there  you go...no rulers
                    5. you wanna keep it that way all you have to do is edit and save as a template.

i hope this answers your question more appropriately.

RULERS.JPG

Andrew Kronquist

I've never noticed the rulers until you mentioned them, and they are there all the time.

Marc-Andre Norris

I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. But I finally found it. SolidWorks Helps said to go  To turn the ruler display on or off, click View > Rulers. I found that it wasent truly accurate. In fact it is located as folowed ;  click View > User interface > Rulers

SW 2016 - Ruler.png

Phil Brewer

Do the same thing while Edit Sheet Format is active. The rulers will be on, and the ability to disable them is grayed out.

Marc-Andre Norris

You are right... cant either turn in On or Off while in editing mode. We can change this option only in normal mode.Seems like you have to choose if you want to have the ruler or not.

Phil Brewer

But even if you choose it off in normal mode, it will still be on in sheet format editing mode.

And the rulers turning on and off as you switch modes makes the drawing jump on screen.

Joseph Martin

Phil,

Came across this thread as I was searching for a solution to this issue. My workaround is to swap between sheet format and sheet modes using a set of macros. If I use my macros (which I have had keybound for quite a while) then I don't ever see the rulers. If I start using the right click option to enter the sheet format, the rulers pop up as has been described in this thread.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Seth Renigar

Joseph,

Could you share the macros?

Joseph Martin

Seth,

Here are the two that I use; they aren't anything that I wrote, just recorded. Someone more knowledgeable than I might even be able to combine them.

I have them bound to two keys on my numpad; it's what's worked for me for the past few years.

Seth Renigar

Joseph,

Thanks!  I just created macro buttons for these and assigned hotkeys, just as you mentioned.  Works great.

Now I've just got to break the habit of using the Mouse Gestures to edit sheet / sheet format (as I have had it assigned for a few years now), and start using the hotkeys...  I just hope SW fixes this crazy, buggy functionality tho.  I prefer my mouse gesture method.

Actually, I wouldn't really mind the rulers turning on and off like they do so much (but I'd rather they didn't).  But these macros actually solves a related issue that nobody has mentioned, which has been driving me nuts.  When using the right click method (or any of the default methods for that matter) to toggle between edit sheet and edit sheet format, every time you do, the feature tree size grows due to this ruler issue.  Try it.  Using the right click method, cycle between edit sheet format and edit sheet several times.  Each time you do, the feature tree size grows slightly.  The more you do it, the bigger it gets.  It can literally take up your entire screen if you cycle through these commands enough.  I for one want the feature tree size to never change.  By using these macros, it doesn't.

Thanks again...

Kelvin Lamport

Seth, I'm curious as to how often are you needing to edit the sheet formats ... and why?

Seth Renigar

Kelvin,

Hehe, no, I don't have to edit the sheet so often that the feature tree grows to cover the screen....

When creating a new drawing, we don't generally have to edit the sheet format terribly often, as our title block info is linked to the properties.  But there is a need to do this sometimes tho.  For example, when the "description" is too long to fit into the allotted space in the title block, we will edit the sheet format, and either change the font, or "Fit" the text, so that it will fit the space.  Or, if we need to redefine a table anchor location is another example.

The kicker is updating old drawings (and we have 1000's).  In the past, before I came here and setup good company std. templates, everyone just kind of created there own, and put things on the sheet format, that didn't belong there.  For example, on old drawings most drawing notes were put on the sheet format.  Revision blocks were literally drawn lines and text, you guessed it, on the sheet format.  And much more... (old drawings are a complete mess).  When updating an old drawing to the latest sheet format, we first have to switch back and forth between edit sheet, and sheet format, numerous times, in order to copy and paste this important info from the sheet format to the sheet, where it belongs.  Otherwise, it would delete when updating the sheet format.  When updating a single drawing, we might switch back and forth between the sheet and the sheet format as much as 8-10 times.  I am constantly having to reset the feature tree size when updating old drawings.

But regardless of how many times we have to do this, the main point is that the rulers shouldn't turn on if you don't want them on, and, the feature tree size shouldn't change when switching from edit sheet and sheet format.  It just simply shouldn't, period.

Another issue with the feature tree size,,,, if the feature tree wasn't "last saved" in its default (snapped) size, it will also change on its own by simply opening a file.  I think this sucks as well.  Its been like this for as long as I can remember.  I wish there was a way to either change the default "snap to" size of the feature tree, or, a way to lock it to whatever size you move it to.

Kelvin Lamport

When updating an old drawing to the latest sheet format, we first have to switch back and forth between edit sheet, and sheet format, numerous times, in order to copy and paste this important info from the sheet format to the sheet, where it belongs.

Why not just cut & paste all the information from the sheet format to the sheet in one hit?

But regardless of how many times we have to do this, the main point is that the rulers shouldn't turn on if you don't want them on, and, the feature tree size shouldn't change when switching from edit sheet and sheet format. It just simply shouldn't, period.

I don't visit the sheet format often so the rulers don't bother me, but having an option to show them, or not, would be good.

Another issue with the feature tree size,,,, if the feature tree wasn't "last saved" in its default (snapped) size, it will also change on its own by simply opening a file. I think this sucks as well. Its been like this for as long as I can remember. I wish there was a way to either change the default "snap to" size of the feature tree, or, a way to lock it to whatever size you move it to.

I could not agree more. That anomaly has existed for far too long.

Seth Renigar

1-54T4EJ wrote:

When updating an old drawing to the latest sheet format, we first have to switch back and forth between edit sheet, and sheet format, numerous times, in order to copy and paste this important info from the sheet format to the sheet, where it belongs.

Why not just cut & paste all the information from the sheet format to the sheet in one hit?

I've tried this.  Since there is no "scale" when editing the sheet format, everything is 1:1.  Therefore, when you copy items at a 1:1 scale, then paste it onto the sheet that has a different scale (which is usually the case), things don't paste always right, and go kind of wacky.  If you select everything and paste it all in one hit, things usually don't get pasted where you expect them to.  Sometimes directly over views.  Sometimes way off into space.  I've found it way more predictable, and easier to deal with, by copy and pasting small "groups" of items from the sheet format to the sheet.

But regardless of how many times we have to do this, the main point is that the rulers shouldn't turn on if you don't want them on, and, the feature tree size shouldn't change when switching from edit sheet and sheet format. It just simply shouldn't, period.

I don't visit the sheet format often so the rulers don't bother me, but having an option to show them, or not, would be good.

It used to be like that prior to SW2015.  Then they "enhanced" it.

Another issue with the feature tree size,,,, if the feature tree wasn't "last saved" in its default (snapped) size, it will also change on its own by simply opening a file. I think this sucks as well. Its been like this for as long as I can remember. I wish there was a way to either change the default "snap to" size of the feature tree, or, a way to lock it to whatever size you move it to.

I could not agree more. That anomaly has existed for far too long.

Far, FAR too long!  It's probably been said about a million times.  But, SolidWorks needs to spend their entire time on one major upgrade doing nothing but fixing these quirky little bugs like this (there are tons of them), as well as improving stability, rather than feature enhancements.  I have been a full time user, basically from day 1.  From what I have seen over the years, yeah, some of these type of quirky bugs get fixed from time to time.  But it seems like for every one that is fixed, at least two or more are introduced.  Over the years, this has added up.  It has started to make SW, pretty annoying to even use these days.

Matthew Lorono

Joseph, Seth and Phil,

Edit Sheet Format is a layout mode.  As such, the set of tools necessary for this mode are slightly different than those for day to day drawings.  To help align things like border, zones and sketch and annotation elements, the rulers are set on as a standard function to the interface.  The sheet format is intended to be edited only once in a blue moon, perhaps once a year, but usually far less than that, so it is important to establish a set of tools that allow for quicker editing while in this mode.  I would have to echo Kevin's comment above, what is causing you to edit the sheet format so often?  I understand that there are some environments where more frequent sheet format editing is required, such as Engineering Consulting firms, but even in these scenarios, editing sheet formats is still a rare activity.  Perhaps there are other SOLIDWORKS tools and capabilities that aren't being utilized in your sheet formats; tools which make it unnecessary to edit a sheet format all the time?  Is there a limitation in SOLIDWORKS that forces you to edit your sheet formats frequently?

Joseph Martin

The main issue here is that this 'rulers on' behavior is relatively new. Before 2015, the rulers were able to be set off in Edit Sheet Format. That's no longer the case. If nothing had changed, this thread wouldn't exist. It's obviously possible for the system to disable the rulers since 1) it used to be an option and 2) you can force the rulers off by using the macros that I posted, but the ability to simply toggle the rulers off is not given to us. That's the source of the frustration. Regardless of how you intend Edit Sheet Format to be used, the change in customization makes little sense since its the opposite direction - why would you disable existing customization options?

Now, to address your curiosity: my company uses Edit Sheet Format for our drawing layout which includes the title block information, the revision blocks, sheet notes, and BoM tables. If you want to edit any of those things, you have to enter the Edit Sheet Format mode. Since we manually input all of those things, we activate this mode probably half a dozen times for each and every drawing that we do. It's enough times that I made macros so that I could hotkey the transition.

Is this the intended use for Edit Sheet Format? Judging from your response, probably not.
                                                    Do I have the ability to change the way my company does drawings? Definitely not.
                                                    Most crucial to the issue: Did my company have any issues with the way we used Edit Sheet Format before the rulers became default on? Nope.

Lucky for me, the behavior remained predictable using my hotkeys/macros. I didn't actually realize that the behavior had changed, honestly, but other people in my office had the issue.

Matthew Lorono

Joseph,

To answer your first main question, rulers are a tool used in the creation and editing of sheet formats.  Editing sheet formats is difficult without them, so having them on addresses a frustration that many users have experienced; users who did not know rulers existed to aid the process.  They are particularly helpful now that zones functionality exists in SOLIDWORKS, particularly in SW15 which does not have the Automatic Border tool which is available in SW16.  SW16 now makes editing a sketched border unnecessary, so the always on status of rulers is perhaps less important in future releases.  There is likely an enhancement request that asked for the ability to control the rulers in the sheet format.  I recommend voting for it via the Customer Portal.

Thank you for answering my question. It does seem your sheet formats are be outdated.

• Title block can be set up using custom properties and Edit Title Block tool so that you never need to edit the sheet format to control the content of your title block.  You still have to sketch the initial layout, but that rarely changes once complete.
                                                        • Revision block can be maintained using the Revision Table tool available for Drawing Templates.  Adding a new revision is as simple as the push of a single button on the table.
                                                        • If you are changing general notes for every drawing, you may wish to consider other methods of inserting them into drawings, such as the design library, blocks, or other methods that allow you to build them according the needs of the drawing.
                                                        • BOM tables can be made using the BOM Table tool.  Is your company working from a BOM table that is actually sketched on the sheet format?
                                                        • In SW16, the Automatic Border tool makes it unnecessary to edit a sheet format to change zone layout of the drawing border.

I understand that you do not have direct control over how your company manages your templates and sheet formats.  However, if you are spending time changing your sheet format for every drawing, you are already controlling how your company manages templates and sheet formats.  Each individual user is controlling it, actually.  It might be time to discuss with others within your operation on how to implement current  functionality within SOLIDWORKS to streamline your processes and make drawing creation a less labor intensive operation.

Joseph Martin

I know why rulers are used. There's a great argument for why you'd enable them by default. The issue, again, is that they used to not be there and now you can't disable them. Having them present in the sheet format and not in the sheet also causes the creep issue that Seth described; the behavior now is a direct un-enhancement from how it used to be.

I know that our formats are outdated. If I use SW for a personal or non-company project, I make use of nearly all of the tools that you've mentioned. They are helpful, they work well, and they are just orders of magnitude less time-consuming than the way we do things around here. I do not enjoy creating and editing BoM tables and revision blocks by hand (literally with text boxes, move/copy, the line tool, linear sketch patterns, etc). Again, I also do not have any control over changing that process. I am assuming that there are other people in the same boat, and they are the ones looking for help in this thread.

This whole thread is about a simple UI change. Never mind how we are under-utilizing SW or what the proper way of doing something is, we are only here because it makes no sense that the rulers can't be disabled while editing the sheet format.

Al Griego

The last company I worked at (using SW 2015) we had standard notes for different types of parts and assemblies. We had a document on our network drive with all of our standard notes, and we would cut and paste them on our drawing into a single note on the drawing. This ensured that the notes were consistent from one drawing to the next.  There were certain notes that were common among all our drawings, and the other notes were tacked on after that. It worked reasonably well. We really only needed to revise the drawing formats a couple of times to revise things like approval blocks and such.

If you need to change your drawing title because it's too big, try setting limits on the size of your text block so it will automatically go to a second (or even third) line. That way you don't need to modify it every time.

Seth Renigar

Joseph, Seth and Phil,

Edit Sheet Format is a layout mode. As such, the set of tools necessary for this mode are slightly different than those for day to day drawings. To help align things like border, zones and sketch and annotation elements, the rulers are set on as a standard function to the interface. The sheet format is intended to be edited only once in a blue moon, perhaps once a year, but usually far less than that, so it is important to establish a set of tools that allow for quicker editing while in this mode. I would have to echo Kevin's comment above, what is causing you to edit the sheet format so often? I understand that there are some environments where more frequent sheet format editing is required, such as Engineering Consulting firms, but even in these scenarios, editing sheet formats is still a rare activity. Perhaps there are other SOLIDWORKS tools and capabilities that aren't being utilized in your sheet formats; tools which make it unnecessary to edit a sheet format all the time? Is there a limitation in SOLIDWORKS that forces you to edit your sheet formats frequently?

Read my reply to Kelvin as to a "reason" that might force someone to edit the sheet format frequently.  I realize this "reason" is probably not that common (Although I'm sure other people have many other reasons as well).

However, the point still remains.  Regardless of the reason, or how often you may need to edit the sheet format, rulers shouldn't turn on if you don't want them on.  And the feature tree shouldn't change in size when you do need to edit the sheet format, period.  Just by saying, "you shouldn't be needing to edit the sheet very often" doesn't make those buggy anomalies okay.

Glenn Schroeder

I agree with Kelvin and Matthew.  All the information in my title blocks is either specific to the drawing template or linked to custom properties, so I go months without needing to edit my sheet formats.  When I do the small rulers at the top and left side of my monitor certainly don't cause me any distress.  So I'm afraid I don't understand the concern about the inability to turn them off.

Glenn

Kathy Spaw

Just reading this thread is frustrating.  It doesn't matter why we are in edit sheet format.  What matters is that the rulers are distracting, taking up valuable real estate on the screen and have no value, in my opinion.  The screen jumps and heaven forbid, I am toggling between two drawings. I would appreciate a straightforward answer; how do I disable them so that I can continue my work, with my focus actually on my work? 

By the way, continuing to discuss why we shouldn't be in edit sheet format and offering solutions about how to do things outside of edit sheet format is a work around.  Not all of us have the luxury of doing things the way they should be done.  I just make the best of it and would rather not have to make the best of it with a work around. Please help.