4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 4:15 AM by Jared Conway

Problems continuing calculation

Karlis Banis

Hello everyone,

I have set up a major study just recently that is very important to me.

Everything seemed fine until yesterday after running the solver for 7 hours, it completed about 30% (which is just fine) I had to move from one location to another so I stopped the solver and saved the results, shut down my PC to continue the calculation today.

I start it all right up, did not touch the model nor anything else, tried to run the calculation and it just wont let me continue from where I left it. The mesh check box is greyed out checked and the continue calculation check box is grayed out not checked. It wants to remesh. Now luckily I backed up the results folder just before I tried the "take previous results" button and discovered that it started the calculation all over which made me mad.

Please someone tell me that those seven hours that I spent yesterday aren't all lost. Is there a way of tricking the solver into thinking that no re-mesh is required perhaps?

I just refuse to believe that Dassault did not think about "continuing calculation after shutdown"..

Thank you for your time.

• Re: Problems continuing calculation
          Jared Conway

first, asses the software, setup a simple pipe, test the workflow, as of probably around 2014 sp3.0 i know that the workflow you describe will work fine. even if you move computers or shut down the computer.

if that doesn't succeed, i'd report to your var immediately as there may be a software issue or post here along with your exact workflow to make sure it isn't just something you're doing. (but it sounds fine)

my guess is your model has an issue that caused it to rebuild on reopen. rebuild = remesh = restart.

you could try turning off the automatic rebuild to prevent this, but it could cause other issues.

you could also try transferred boundary conditions by cloning the project and then telling the cloned project to start where the last one left off. this assumes you can still load the results that you have.

Karlis Banis

Thank you for the input Jared, I appreciate it.

I am running SW 2015 SP0.

Could you please explain a bit more what do you mean about the transferred boundary conditions? Would I still be able to get my results as a whole in just one project? Because I plan on running particle studies and animations. My study has time dependent boundary conditions.

I am also not sure what you mean with "workflow". I have messed around FlowSim for about a year now so I know a thing or two about it but I am not an expert in terminology just yet.

I had an idea which I cannot try ATM because my PC is starting the same study for a different model configuration. What if I tried remeshing the model when it asks me to, then run the study, terminate it shortly after with saving results. Overwrite the entire folder "1" with my backup that I had saved and run the solver once more. Could this work?

Thanks again.

Jared Conway

time dependent + transferred boundary conditions + having everything in one study, that unfortunately isn't going to happen. you'd have at least 2, the first one and then the one you transferred to. you will need to start over from the beginning.

as for workflow, just is a way to describe the steps you take to get from start to end so that someone can follow along and test.

and dropping the results in a folder might let you see them but you won't be able to restart them.

personal opinion is to export the whole model as a parasolid (no relations), resetup your sim, rerun. if the problem comes back, there is a workflow, limitation or bug

Karlis Banis

Alright it seems my plan did not work.

Jared, could you please explain a bit more what do you mean about the transferred boundary conditions? Would I still be able to get my results as a whole in just one project? Because I plan on running particle studies and animations. My study has time dependent boundary conditions.

I am also not sure what you mean with "workflow". I have messed around FlowSim for about a year now so I know a thing or two about it but I am not an expert in terminology just yet.