5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 9:12 PM by Velibor Marjanovic

Getting physical dimension value out of particular sketch?

Velibor Marjanovic

Hi,

at the moment I am stuck with trivial issue (it should be, unless I don't get this at all) in regards to passing dimension out of sketch:

Dim swPart as IPartDoc

Dim featureOfPart as IFeature = Nothing

Dim sketchWidth As IDimension = Nothing

Dim dblSketchWidth as Double = 0

swPart = swApp.ActiveDoc

featureOfPart = swPart.FeatureByName("Something")

sketchWidth = featureOfPart.IParameter("Width@SomethingSketch@SomethingPart.sldprt")

dblSketchWidth = sketchWidth.IGetSystemValue3(swInConfigurationOpts_e.swThisConfiguration, 1, Nothing)

MsgBox (dblSketchWidth)

Getting an error: "Use the "new" keyword to create object instance.".

Tried other functions (dimension.value, IGetValue3) which returns double value from dimension but with same issue and message.

IGetSystemValue3 should return double value of the length. Please let me know what I am missing here. I tried to use SelectionByID, but that function uses x, y, z coordinates and what I need it is length of line, not its location in space. BTW using SW2014 with Visual Basic.Net as macro language.

Thanks.

• Re: Getting physical dimension value out of particular sketch?
          Daniel Andersson

Have you tried  to change

sketchWidth = featureOfPart.IParameter("Width@SomethingSketch@SomethingPart.sldprt")

To

sketchWidth = featureOfPart.IParameter("Width")

It might also be that your "Something" feature is not the actual sketch feature.

See this post as reference:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/62821?forceNoRedirect=true

And I'm not sure but the "1" in

sketchWidth.IGetSystemValue3(swInConfigurationOpts_e.swThisConfiguration, 1, Nothing

Might be set to nothing since you are not specifing any specific configuration (swSpecifyConfiguration).

Could you please state on which line you get the error if my suggestions do not help.

Velibor Marjanovic

Ooops clicked previously  on wrong one...

Hi, first of all thanks for helping.

I did change upper suggestion (in regards to "Width"), and changed function name to sketchWidth.GetValue2("Default"), so I can avoid numbering configurations (decrease number of potential problems) and again getting same error. Debugger stops actually right on that line: dblSketchWidth=sketchWidth.GetValue2("Default"). BTW default is only configuration available.

Really not quite sure what is issue here???

Daniel Andersson

GetValue2 is obsolete and you should stick with GetSystemValue3. Go for GetSystemValue3 and you will have different input and returns. Noticed that you tried to used IGetSystemValue3. I would follow the example below, taken from

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/english/api/sldworksapi/Get_Depth_of_Extrusion_Example_VBNET.htm

E.g.....

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Dim swDim As Dimension

Dim vConfigNames As Object

Dim vValue As Object

swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

swDim = swModel.Parameter("D1@Boss-Extrude1") 'Would be Width@SomeSketch in your case.

Debug.Assert(Not swDim Is Nothing)

Debug.Print("File = " & swModel.GetPathName)

Debug.Print("  FullName     = " & swDim.FullName)

Debug.Print("  Name         = " & swDim.Name)

vConfigNames = swModel.GetConfigurationNames

vValue = swDim.GetSystemValue3(swInConfigurationOpts_e.swThisConfiguration, (vConfigNames))

Debug.Print("  SystemValue  = " & vValue(0) * 1000.0# & & "" & "mm")

Velibor Marjanovic

Hello Daniel,

thanks for the solution. Finally the issue is resolved, but for my overall understanding, I don't get it yet why it did not work out with:

swPart = swApp.ActiveDoc

swFeature = swPart.FeatureByName("Blahblah")

swDim = swFeature.IParameter("Something@SomethingElse")

dblValue = swDim.IGetSystemValue3(thisConfiguration, vConfigName)

Technicaly all parameters given are correct and should coincide with by function required return value (especially dblValue line as returned value should be the number).

Best regards,

Velibor Marjanovic

Hi, first of all thatnks for helping.

I did change upper suggestion (in regards to "Width"), and changed function name to sketchWidth.GetValue2("Default"), so I can avoid numbering configurations (decrease number of potential problems) and again getting same error. Debugger stops actually right on that line: dblSketchWidth=sketchWidth.GetValue2("Default")

Really not quite sure what is issue here???