AnsweredAssumed Answered

Working with SW files over VPN

Question asked by Mark Biasotti on Nov 24, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 by Alex Taguchi

Myself and my colleagues have had a long standing issue of opening and saving SW files over VPN. For my current consultancy (and the previous one I worked for) we often have to work from home on the weekend or week nights at a moment's notice and login to my company's intranet using Cisco VPN. What is peculiar is that then opening, and especially saving a SW file, over VPN the time it requires to save is approximately 10X to 20x longer than if I were to just simply copy the file over via windows explorer. I can not explain this but it is a serious impediment. It seems that the problem gets exponentially worse the larger the file. For instance a 60M master model file that takes about 10 seconds to copy over in explorer takes about 30+ minutes to save from SW.  For larger data sets VPN is almost not an option because of this problem.

What I've had to do as a workaround is to leave my laptop at work and then using remote login via my home workstation. This way I can work more effectively with the exception of the slight lag over remote desktop.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  I would really appreciate if you have and can share your experience and possible solution.

Outcomes