4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 2:40 AM by Joye Moshe

Help making Stress Analysis

Joye Moshe

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to SolidWorks and learning every day.

For my project, I need to build a tower that is composed of several floors and each floor is built with the same geometric form. (as seen in the attached file)

Each form is built from popsicles (lets say balsa wood), that are connected to each other with Split pins (in the flat parts) and glue (in the angles)

How do you make a static stress analysis that will test how much load the structure will be able to hold and if  it possible - to find the broken vector.

in addition, is there any way to simulate glue parts?

Appreciate any help!

• Re: Help making Stress Analysis
          Jared Conway

this isn't as straight forward as you think

handling wood is different than metal

the connectors mean adding contact

glue is even more complicated to describe

i am also not sure what you mean by "broken vector"

are you trying to use a simulation to predict how many levels you can build before something fails? this sounds like a class lesson, what is the goal of the lesson?

what i would suggest is building a part that looks liek what you have as all one body and see how far you get before you start worrying about glue or the pins

Joye Moshe

First off all thanks for the comment.

as for the vector I meant that I want to see how or where will break  first.

I did actually checked with a real one, but I just wanted to know how to do it with Solid.

Mike Pogue

I agree down the line with everything Jared wrote. I'd add that this analysis is not going to show you anything interesting.

• There is no sideways component to the load. The cross members will take negligible force.
              • If this is drawn to scale, it absolutely will not buckle unless it's a lot of floors.
              • This does not look like a fatigue problem--also, fatigue in wood is not meaningfully defined, unless I'm mistaken.
              • The stress is the total weight of everything above divided by the total cross section of the columns--which you could get from excel. Then lookup the ultimate stress of your wood, or, better yet
              • Just look up the rating of your columns, for instance here Capacity of wood column calculator
              • Well-designed glue joints are stronger than the surrounding wood.
                Joye Moshe

Thanks for all the help.