2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 12:48 PM by Brandon Massoni

How to select convex edges?

Brandon Massoni

I want to select and mark all the convex edges in a part. Currently, I iteratively create fillets on each edge, compare the change in volume (convex edge fillets decrease the total volume), then delete the fillet . However, I do not know how to store the edge to be re-selected later.

Is there a better way to select convex edges? How do I use marks or edge.setID to save a convex edge into an array?

Thanks,

Brandon Massoni

• Re: How to select convex edges?
          Daniel Andersson

I have zero experience in this type of modelling API. But... I would recommend that you look in the utilities API if you have SolidWorks Professional or higher.

There is a power select method that would help you with this.

If you do not have Professional... then I would try to use entities in order to select or store data for selection later.

See this blog where they process edges and uses the IEdge and IEntity interface.

Set swEntity = swEdge

This would allow you to select the edge(s) as entity or give the entity a name and store that in a array for use to select later.

Meanwhile I will personally keep thinking about your question, I'm sure that someone have solved it in the past without adding a radius and analyse the mass. There is some quite impressive techniques and algorithms out there.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: How to select convex edges?
            Brandon Massoni

Thanks Daniel,

The power select link has a filter for concave vs. convex edges, which works great! "power select method "

Only, be sure to use the following preconditions to load the SolidWorks Utilities before you can use power select.

' Preconditions:

' 1. Add the SolidWorks Utilities as an add-in

'    (in SolidWorks, click Tools > Add-Ins > SolidWorks Utilities).

' 2. Add the SolidWorks Utilities type library as a reference

'    (in the IDE, click Tools > References > SolidWorks

'   Utilities version type library).

' 3. The specified files exist.

' 4. C:\test\ exists.