41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 9:59 AM by Jody Holm

Cosmetic Threads in Drawings

Wayne Bird

I have a part that has a cosmetic thread.  I create a drawing and place a view in it, the part shows the hidden line cosmetic thread with the tapped hole callout.  This is perfect.  Now if I create a cosmetic thread at the assembly level and create a view in the drawing no hidden line cosmetic thread or hole callout shows up.  I can select the view and use the Model Items function to import the cosmetic threads into the view, but only the hole callout shows up, but not the hidden line cosmetic thread.  Can anyone tell me how to get the hidden line cosmetic threads to show up in a drawing when they are created at the assembly level?

• Re: Cosmetic Threads in Drawings
          Jamil Snead

I tried to duplicate the problem. I put a threaded hole in an assembly and when I put it in a drawing, sure enough the cosmetic thread circle didn't show up. However when I did the Insert > Model Items and selected cosmetic thread the circle showed up in addition to the callout. So unfortunately I can't figure out why it didn't work for you. Is the threaded hole placed on a flat surface? I think sometimes if the hole is on a curved face then the cosmetic thread might not show up correctly. FYI I am on SW2014 SP4.0.

2 people found this helpful
            Kelvin Lamport

With a drawing open, go to Tools > Options > Document Properties > Detailing and make sure the cosmetic thread options in the Display filter section are selected.

Ridvan Dem

Cosmetic thread is a big problem on solidworks. there are a lot of bug about it.  even so please share the problem with solidworks. by the way dont wait for solution. they cant solve the problem. thanks

Ridvan Dem

Do you know? why doesn't solidworks solve this bug and others?

Solidworks Engineers should research to Autodesk Inventor. They know this job.

We need engineering capability for cad. thank you

Matthew Lorono

Cosmetic threads are of little value on assembly drawings for many users (of diverse Engineering backgrounds), who instead prefer that they not be shown on the drawing.  First, on assembly drawings, they can clutter the drawing view.  Second, they take up a lot of memory and can slow down drawing performance, particularly on drawings of large assemblies.

You should be able to insert cosmetic threads using Model Items.  If this is not working, please make sure to contact your VAR to see what might be going on, and to determine if there is a bug or workflow issue that needs to be resolved.

Steven Smith

I can see your point with assembly drawings, but cosmetic threads can be of significant value to part drawings however.

It would be good if the user had the ability to switch between the thread types on drawings. (Cosmetic/Simplified/Actual)

Matthew Lorono

Drawing Views of Parts do have cosmetic threads (simplified) inserted with settings in Document Properties under Detailing.

Actual and Schematic display styles are not currently supported by SOLIDWORKS.  When do you need these display types for threads?

Kris Rowlands

COMPLETELY disagree with this rationale and blanket statement. It's 2018, I'm running SW 2016 and this is STILL an issue.

Cosmetic threads and whether or not to show them is a choice that we should be able to take in our own hands. For a top level assembly outline, which is what we send to our customers for approval, cosmetic threads are a requirement. I've got a dwg now that I cannot get the CT to show and its quite frustrating. I've checked every setting and they are all enabled.

It's still a crap shoot on whether they show up on assy dwgs or not, and this thread is four years old. I've even taken this issue to my VAR, upon occasion, and they can't figure it our either.

We need more robust cosmetic threads.

Ridvan Dem

Matthew hi,

This is a bug and there are alot of spr about this subject. please dont share idea for solution. please follow the spr. thank you

Jody Holm

Big Bug. I do not know why Matthew is argueing this other than there is a DDS logo by his name. Anyone who has any drafting training know this is not the way to draw a screw in a tapped hole. Come on SW lets just get it right. We need to see how deep our holes are tapped and we need to know that the fastener has a thread on it.

Ridvan Dem

I agree with you.  anyone cant say something else about it. solidworks should think to engineering. because we make a design for manufacturing. not show off

Wayne Bird

Thank you Jody for your comment.  I was going to say the exact same thing, but just decided to drop it, but I'm glad you didn't and I can't agree with you more.  Drawings that are used to fabricate parts need to have these hidden line threads.  We deal with one engineering company that provides us drawings following Matthew's viewpoint and all it does is cause confusion and additional time ensuring what the engineer really wants.

Jamil Snead

SolidWorks DOES do this. Here is a screenshot straight off a drawing.

threaded.PNG

You just have to go Insert > Model Items, select Cosmetic Threads in the Annotations section, and then click the green check. I don't know why it didn't work for Wayne but normal SolidWorks behavior will show cosmetic threads when you do this.

Wayne Bird

Jamil, create the tapped hole with cosmetic thread at the assembly level, then create a drawing with a plan view so you're looking down on the hole.  Go Insert > Model Items, select Cosmetic Threads in the Annotations section, and then click the green check.  Does the hidden line cosmetic thread show?  I would like to see your screenshot of that.  Again, the tapped hole has to be created at the assembly level.  I have no problems when it's created at the part level.

Jamil Snead

That works for me too.

THREADED1.PNGTHREADED2.PNG

Does the cosmetic thread show up in the assembly? Make sure when you create the HW hole you have the cosmetic thread options checked and not Tap Drill Diameter.

threaded3.PNG

Ridvan Dem

You dont know how to use cosmetic thread on the assembly. if you have used modelling assembly, You would agree with me. thank you

Ridvan Dem

Are you sure that  how to make an assembly. you can not make an assembly like this. thank you

assem.png

Jamil Snead

I have no idea what you are talking about. If you look at the icon at the top of the tree in my screenshot you will see the assembly icon, the same icon as you have outlined in red. That was a regular assembly. And then you will see the hole feature highlighted in blue, and it is obvious the feature is created in the assembly. I made a normal assembly and a normal hole and everything works perfectly for me. You keep accusing me of doing something wrong but if I am able to get perfect results and you are not, then most likely you are the one doing something wrong.

Wayne Bird

Thanks Jamil, I started from scratch and did what you did and I had no problem, everything worked as it should have.  So I went back to my original assembly that I was having trouble with, created a new drawing from scratch and noticed when I inserted model items and had threads selected I could see the cosmetic thread (dashed lines) show up then quickly disappear.  So apparently there is something wrong with this particular model that's causing my issues.  I can't figure out what's wrong with my model.  I've attached it to see if you can duplicate what I'm seeing and to see if you can figure out what's causing the issue.

Please let me know what you find.

Jamil Snead

I noticed that if I make a drawing from your subassembly 500-0142_02 then the thread circles import correctly. So I did some more tests and it seems like when importing annotations it will only show the threads that were created in the top level assembly, not cosmetic threads that were created within a subassembly. Other annotations will import from subassemblies as well as the top level assembly (weld symbols at least, that's all I tried). I haven't found any way to force the subassembly cosmetic threads to show up. At this point I'd say it looks like a bug and suggest you contact your VAR so they can submit it to SW.

I was going to suggest as a workaround that you could add an extra set of cosmetic threads in the top assembly, but after trying that it says you can only add cosmetic threads to assembly features, so you can't put new cosmetic threads on the holes that were created in the subassembly. I think that's a pretty stupid limitation, because you could have an assembly step that involves tapping an existing hole. I suppose you could make a configuration of the subassembly with the holes missing, and then add them again as new threaded holes in the top level assembly. But that is a lot of work just to get the thread circles to show up.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edit: I just realized that when importing model items from an assembly, the threads from parts in that assembly or parts in subassemblies DO show up, it is only threads from subassemblies that don't. So one thing that might work for you is to build the 500-0142_02 as a derived part rather than an assembly. Then threads that you create in it will show up in a drawing view for 500-0142.

Ridvan Dem

obviously you do not use ccosmetic thread on assembly. by the way Solidworks agreed this problem but you dont agree

cosmtic thread.jpg

Jody Holm

You should not have to go anywhere. "Import model items"? What the heck is a model item?. How about defaulting to the correct display and let the people who prefer the incorrect display jump though the hoops. Besides that, it did not work for me. The lines are not hidden and it added some un-wanted dimensions to my drawing.

Jamil Snead

Jody, when you start the Insert Model Items command you need to select the Cosmetic Threads box, and if you don't want other stuff to show up automatically make sure everything else is deselected. I think by default the first box Marked for Drawing is selected and that's probably where your dimensions came from.

modelitems.PNG

1 person found this helpful
                                                                Jody Holm

This is a useless option. Why would I want SW to dimension my drawing. What is it actually dimensioning? Why didn't it dimension everything? Why did it dinension the length of thread on the screw?  really?

Thanks for your response and knowlege of this and many other work arounds, but we just want our threads to look like threads without all the extra effort. : )

Jamil Snead

When you add dimensions while you are building a part there is an option called "Mark for drawing". If you open one of your parts and right click on a dimension you will see this.

MarkForDrawing.PNG

I believe that when you Import Model Items and have that first box selected, it will insert every dimension that had Mark for Drawing checked. Maybe by default hole wizard diemensions don't have that checked, I'm not sure. But that's why some dimensions would show up but not all of them.

The point of this is to save time since you are already adding dimensions while building the part, then you don't have to manually add the same dimensions when creating a drawing; it is automatic. I personally don't use that feature because very often the dimensions I want on a drawing are different than the ones I used to build the model, and I don't want to bother going through right clicking on every dimension to decide what should be marked for the drawing.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                      Ridvan Dem

Dear friends. We know already your suggestion but however sometimes solidworks doesnt show cosmetic thread on assembly and drawing environment. so Solidworks created spr and escalation for this issue. Why we talk about this subject. everything clear.

1.png

Where is the thread?

2.png

3.png

4.png

Ridvan Dem

Welding is a problem as cosmetic thread on solidworks. I want to show weldbead as realistic. because I make a machining. manufacturing logic

This is an Inventor capability. You can not make this with solidworks .

weld.png

Am I clear?

Ridvan Dem

Solidworks cosmetic thread bug 2d.

thread bug.png