AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is the best way to drive components in an assembly to different positions?

Question asked by Nathan Rollins on Nov 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 by Nathan Rollins

Hi all,

I have a mechanism that I am designing.  There are several sliding parts that are staged in their motion - one part slides and contacts another and then they both move.  Some have plastic flexure members where SWX thinks there is contact - but in reality, the members will flex out of the way and slide...

Surely I can use a variety of tools to help me position these components in their various stages so I can design, check, demonstrate and present...  Configurations come to mind, but I really like to leave some of these components under-defined in the assy so I can simply click and drag the part to another position.  I would love to be able to set the components in a certain configuration and save those positions and recall them easily at a later time.  Imagine explaining the operation of the device to an audience in a design review... "here's the initial position and then, push this button and the spring pushes against this surface and moves this part to this position..."  on and on.  I don't want to have to manually drag the various components to their positions for each step live in front of my audience.

I have some limit mates assigned to some parts - so it looks like when I drag one part, it slides until it "hits" another part and they both slide.  But I don't want to lock down my assy so it is driven only by dimension mates and I need to manage several configurations.

Is there a way to save the positions of components and then go back to that position?  "View>Lights and Cameras>Add Snapshot" sounds so great - but it doesn't save the position of the parts.

What do you all do?

Thanks!

-Nate

Outcomes