9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 8:32 AM by Nathan Rollins

What is the best way to drive components in an assembly to different positions?

Nathan Rollins

Hi all,

I have a mechanism that I am designing.  There are several sliding parts that are staged in their motion - one part slides and contacts another and then they both move.  Some have plastic flexure members where SWX thinks there is contact - but in reality, the members will flex out of the way and slide...

Surely I can use a variety of tools to help me position these components in their various stages so I can design, check, demonstrate and present...  Configurations come to mind, but I really like to leave some of these components under-defined in the assy so I can simply click and drag the part to another position.  I would love to be able to set the components in a certain configuration and save those positions and recall them easily at a later time.  Imagine explaining the operation of the device to an audience in a design review... "here's the initial position and then, push this button and the spring pushes against this surface and moves this part to this position..."  on and on.  I don't want to have to manually drag the various components to their positions for each step live in front of my audience.

I have some limit mates assigned to some parts - so it looks like when I drag one part, it slides until it "hits" another part and they both slide.  But I don't want to lock down my assy so it is driven only by dimension mates and I need to manage several configurations.

Is there a way to save the positions of components and then go back to that position?  "View>Lights and Cameras>Add Snapshot" sounds so great - but it doesn't save the position of the parts.

What do you all do?

Thanks!

-Nate