13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 11:31 AM by Mike Campbell

Using IEquationMgr in SolidWorks 2014 macro

Mike Campbell

I'm having difficulty gaining access to the functionality of IEquationMgr in a simple macro. I'm hoping someone will offer to show me how to integrate it in.

• Re: Using IEquationMgr in SolidWorks 2014 macro
          Daniel Andersson

This example is found in the SolidWorks API reference. Get Equation Values Example (VBA)
          If you still got trouble, please share a code snippet or give us more information about what you want to do and what errors you are getting.

Mike Campbell

I may be corrected but I don't believe EquationMgr has all the functionality of IEquationMgr. Most specifically I need to be able to set the value of LinkToFile.

Daniel Andersson

I'm not a professional coder. Just a happy mech. engineer getting lost sometimes...

But I do believe that IEquationMgr is equal to EquationMgr. The IEquationMgr is the interface and found in the api refernce. You will find them both in the VBA editor as exposed and the result is same.

I belive that the "I" is a suffix that states that it is a interface, just as people use to add suffix "s" for string variables etc etc. Perhaps I'm wrong since I'm not that skilled and base this on my assumptions. I would be very happy to learn if there is an difference in IEquationMgr and Sldworks.EquationMgr.

Made a sample... with both using the "I"... and as I regulary do, without the suffix  "I". To me, they both give me the same result in the debug window.

Code below will print True/False if there is a linked file, and also the file path.

Option Explicit

Dim I_swApp As ISldWorks
                  Dim I_swModel As IModelDoc2
                  Dim I_swEqMgr As IEquationMgr

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
                  Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
                  Dim swEqMgr As SldWorks.EquationMgr

Sub main()

Set I_swApp = Application.SldWorks
                  Set I_swModel = I_swApp.ActiveDoc
                  Set I_swEqMgr = I_swModel.GetEquationMgr

Debug.Print I_swModel.GetPathName
                  Debug.Print I_swEqMgr.LinkToFile & " - " & I_swEqMgr.FilePath

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                  Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc
                  Set swEqMgr = swModel.GetEquationMgr

Debug.Print swModel.GetPathName
                  Debug.Print swEqMgr.LinkToFile & " - " & swEqMgr.FilePath

End Sub

Mike Campbell

I have some code to show. Where's the "insert code" tool...?

Daniel Andersson

I just paste it, select it and then press the quote symbol ".

The other way is to use the advanced editor for the forum.  You find it in the upper right corner of the text box. In advance mode you can select text and press the icon >> and then select how the text should be formated.

Mike Campbell

You are not incorrect in as far as you go with your answer. I want to set LinkToFile to be false. The code below will report that it is toggled but upon examination you'll see nothing's changed in the Equations folder. SW "help" specifically states that it can be set. There's something I've left out and I suspect it relates to "Property LinkToFile As System.Boolean" as found here. Attached is the nothing file I've been testing.

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As ISldWorks

Dim swModel As IModelDoc2

Dim swEqnMgr As IEquationMgr

Dim bolStat As Boolean

Dim lngCount As Long

Dim i As Long

Sub main()

Set swEqnMgr = swModel.GetEquationMgr

lngCount = swEqnMgr.GetCount

'Toggle link-to-file for each equation

For i = 0 To lngCount - 1

Debug.Print swEqnMgr.LinkToFile

If swEqnMgr.LinkToFile = False Then

swEqnMgr.LinkToFile = True

Else

swEqnMgr.LinkToFile = False

End If

Debug.Print swEqnMgr.LinkToFile

Next

End Sub

Daniel Andersson

Hi,

I hope that I'm wrong on this one... but it seems like it is not possible.

Found this post which explains the behavior: Getting LinkToFile from each equation???

It is currently not possible to set if LinkToFile for each equation with API from what I can see. Also in the API reference it does not seem to be possible to get the LinkToFile for a specific equation (No way to use the index that is needed).

Further on, I tested to set LinkToFile to false and FilePath to "". Then code remove the LinkToFile but the equations seems to be disabled/controlled in another way then. See image below.

capture1.PNG

If you want to remove them and not having them grayed out. I would just loop thru and get each equation, then delete them and then add them again.

Something like this... note that this will be for all configurations, you have to loop thru all configurations to get the correct suppression state and remove the links (bugged out gray ones...).

EDIT 2014-12-01: Removed non-working macro.

Mike Campbell

Daniel,

I appreciate your extended effort. Just so you don't go off in the wrong direction, in effect what I'd like to do is to remove the checkmark beside "Link to external file". In the end, I have no problem doing it the hard way. The pseudo code becomes:

Remember all equations

Delete all equations

Set file path to "" for external file

Write the equations from memory

This works except that I've not addressed multiple configurations.

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As ISldWorks

Dim swModel As IModelDoc2

Dim swEqnMgr As IEquationMgr

Dim lngCount As Long

Dim i As Long

Dim strEqn() As String

Dim bolStat As Boolean

Sub main()

lngCount = swEqnMgr.GetCount

ReDim strEqn(lngCount - 1, 0)

strEqn(i, 0) = swEqnMgr.Equation(i) 'Remember equations

Next

swEqnMgr.FilePath = "" 'Remove path to referenced text file

Next

Do While swEqnMgr.Equation(0) <> ""

swEqnMgr.Delete (0) 'Delete the next equation until none remain

Loop

i = swEqnMgr.Add(i, strEqn(i, 0)) 'Repopulate list of equations

Next

bolStat = swModel.ForceRebuild3(True)

swModel.Save

End Sub

Daniel Andersson

I sometimes get stuck in my mind when I'm just about to do a breif test and the ideas and the tst just grows... and then time runs away. I started of do the same thing as you but got caught by the idea to go thru the configurations as well. Just let me know if you want further ideas / guidance to loop the configurations. I will hold the update of the "potato" example I posted above.

Just a few comments to your code.

ReDim strEqn(lngCount - 1, 0)

In VBA it is the last dimension you can redim, IF the array has been (re)dimensioned previously. Therefore I would recommend to get used to just redim the last dimension

ReDim strEqn(0, lngCount - 1)

This would make you to change the code in other places as well... just wanted to highlight what I have run into myself.

So far you do not need a multi dimensional array, but you might have plans for it later.

Next

The FOR statement is not need since it will only set the boolean value to False as many times as the count of equations. swEqnMgr.LinkToFile is not dependent on the variable i. Just set swEqnMgr.LinkToFile = False and you will have the same result.

i = swEqnMgr.Add(i, strEqn(i, 0)) 'Repopulate list of equations

In the title you give a hint that you use this macro in SW2014. The IEquationMgr::Add is obsolete and replaced with IEquationMgr::Add2. And in SW2014 you also have IEquationMgr::Add3.

When looping thru the configurations you have to catch the suppression state

Mike Campbell

Daniel,

I like to leave behind something that's altogether correct. Look this over and let me know what you think. Note the IEquationMgr is not involved.

Option Explicit

'Preconditions: File is open; equations do exist; box is checked next to "Link to external file"

'Postconditions: Box is UNchecked next to "Link to external file"

Dim swApp         As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel       As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swEqnMgr      As EquationMgr

Dim lngCount      As Long

Dim i             As Long

Dim strEqn()      As String

Dim bolStat       As Boolean

Sub main()

lngCount = swEqnMgr.GetCount 'Get the number of equations

ReDim strEqn(lngCount - 1)

strEqn(i) = swEqnMgr.Equation(i) 'Remember equations

Next

swEqnMgr.FilePath = "" 'Remove path to referenced text file

swEqnMgr.LinkToFile = False 'Remove check mark from box

Do While swEqnMgr.Equation(0) <> ""

swEqnMgr.Delete (0) 'Delete equations until none remain

Loop

swEqnMgr.Equation(i) = swEqnMgr.Add2(i, strEqn(i), True) 'Repopulate list of equations

Next

bolStat = swModel.ForceRebuild3(True) 'Rebuid model

End Sub

1 person found this helpful
                                                  Daniel Andersson

Very good intention to leave something behind if someone else needs to dig into this.

Only comments I have is about the Add2 method and the ForceRebuild3 at the end, and that the suppressions states is not considered for configurations (perhaps you could update the macro with just a comment that configurations is not considered.). I assumed that you have already tested and de-bugged the code, so I skipped that part.

The Solve (last argument in the Add2 method) has following remarks in the API reference:

Setting the Solve argument to false delays evaluation of this equation, which

enhances performance when there are many equations to solve. When Solve is set

to false, the equation appears in the FeatureManager design tree only after

calling IEquationaMgr::EvaluateAll or

IModelDoc2::EditRebuild3.

So I would have set it to False and then call the IModelDoc2::EditRebuild3 method where you do the ForceRebuild3. Sorry if I influenced you with my macro above (which I have removed due to the faulty code I made up, I do not recall the code in details.)

Setting the argument for Solve to False and IModelDoc2::EditRebuild3 at the end would speed up the macro quite much if you have alot of equations to be solved.

Thats all, Glad that you got this working!

P.s I did not think about handling expections, such as if no SW document is open, if drawing is the active document, if a equation fails to be added etc. If you want to discuss that further we could do that with PMs or in a new thread.