2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2007 8:59 PM by Vince Adams

Cosmos Results

Phil  Casey
      A project in my mechanics of materials class requires us toconstruct a bridge to span a 35 inch gap and support a minimum loadof a single standard brick.  I'm using cosmos to try analyzewhat i can expect from my bridge design.  The problem lies inthat im having trouble interpreting what the results mean. for instance, if i take my design and set restraints as if itwas on a table, and apply a load of 4.35 lbs to the bearing surfaceof the bridge, and use the material properties that were providedto us for our hand calculations, the stress, strain, anddeformation plots dont give me any useful information.  Howexactly does cosmos report results?
        • Cosmos Results
          Peter Gillespie
          I'm working with 2004, so there may be some minor differences, but what I'm guessing you're seeing is the default plots. On each of those plots, you need to edit the definition (right click>edit definition or chart options in newer versions, I think) and set, for example, the stress range. If you're working with a material of 200 MPa yield strength, you might set a range of 0 to 200 MPa. Anything red will fail (theoretically).

The way I use it I look for the highest stress areas and strengthen those areas. As I have learned from others, if you don't know FEA real well, the best you should expect is trends, not exact numerical results.

Also, it took me awhile before I figured out restraints and loads well. Make sure you have accurate assumptions.