10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 3:12 PM by Martin Abbott

Solidworks on 4K screen

Conquip Inc

Forum, has one here run solid works on one of the newer 4k or Q HD screens. Will it run properly? OK or buggy? There are even Quadro versions of the Q-HD screen. I have seen them and they look great, but I will probably go standard HD if I don't hear it works with one.

Bill

• Re: Solidworks on 4K screen
          Luca Frondoni

It will work fine. I'm running SW on my 1440p panel no problem, increasing the resolution even more will have 2 consequences: increasing room for your model, decreasing buttons, icons etc (GUI) size.

Problem may arise while increasing DPI scaling, in order to get the icon bigger. Looking around the web, it looks SW is DPI friendly, so you should be fine.

The benefit of going hi-res still far outweigh the downsides. Go for it.

PS

I don't really understand what you mean by "Quadro versions of the QHD screen". What do you mean?

EDIT:

Attached screenshot running 2560x1440. (yes, I'm using TeamViewer, well spotted)

Conquip Inc

Luca,

Many Thanks, it is always best if you see someone actually running the program! What I was referring to in my comment,  "Quadro versions of the Q-HD screen", is the Nvidia Quadro graphics card. Since these cards are usually recommended by Solidworks for open GL graphics I was suprised that they had a 4K version rather than just a 1080P. Thanks again,

Bill

Luca Frondoni

No worries. Now, having a "4k version of a card" doesn't really make total sense.

If the card has HDMI 1.4 (or higher) or DP 1.2 (or higher), it will support 4K (or 4096×2160). The former can only support max 30HZ while the latter supports 60HZ. HDMI 2.0 brings 60HZ to the table.

So, as far as your card as one of the two above, you can use the card that you already have. I do not recommend using a panel limited to 30HZ.

Ethan Kay

I just got a 28" 4K monitor Acer model B286HK with 3840x2160 resolution and really like it.  The problem we found is that the quatro k4000 video card in my co-workers computer can't handle the 4k output at 30hz even on display port.  I have a K2200 video card and it's running just fine.

The biggest advantage I see with a 4k monitor is what a lot of people I have heard complain about TEXT SIZE.  SolidWorks does not adjust the text size well so if you have anything set in windows other than 100% it gets a little funny, basically the text gets bigger but the area line spacing doesn't.  So with a 28" 4k monitor on my desk I can read the text just fine, although it is smaller than on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor.  But the nice thing is the feature tree can be expanded and you can actually see more on it.  running a standard 28" monitor with the 1920x1080 resolution everything is just bigger as oppsed to a large screen providing more real estate.  Here is an image to highlight that.  This is basically what windows thinks my desk looks like with a 24" 1080p and a 28" 4K.   Now compare that to what windows thinks your desktop looks like with two 24" 1080p monitors side by side and you see you have twice virtual screen size with a 4k.  Basically 1 x 4k=4 x 1080p monitors.

That last sentence is the main thing to consider.  A small 4k screen is going to be useless the same as a really big 1080p screen doesn't actually give you more usable screen space, just a bigger picture of the same screen.  The main driver is really pixel pitch.

Peter Skillman

hi, I just got 4k high end Asus laptop and the icons for tools are about 2mm. I love the resolution but it looks like I'd need to change the resolution to make solideorks usable. I'm running pre release window 10 and it seems to work fine ...

s oould I just give up and change the resolution?

peter

Ethan Kay

HI Peter,

My understanding is that SW 2016 will use the windows scaling function to increase the button size.  For 2015 you will need to change the screen resolution to get bigger buttons.   At this time at least I wouldn't recommend a 4k monitor under 28" because you are packing 4x the pixels into the same space and most programs still use buttons based on pixel size.

Thomas Cleary

Hi Ethan,

Have you or any other users found a work around for the tiny buttons and text seen on high resolution displays in SW2015? Currently this is turning my gorgeous 4k conference room display back into a 1080P monitor. I can tell a difference in model clarity and detail so I would love to use my display at its highest resolution even it it requires a nontraditional fix or a hack.

Tom

Martin Abbott

You could try this:

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

It worked for me with my ultrabook with a 4K 13" screen.

Thomas Cleary

Thanks Martin,

I tried the suggested change and it scaled the software but I got an error when loading: "Failed to initialize Visual Basic for Apps, equations and macros will not work. Are you low on disc space." After I click okay on the message, SolidWorks crashes. Any suggestions?SLDWORKS Failure.PNG

Martin Abbott

Ooo-er .  I didn't get anything like that.

It did give me some trouble trying to get it to work, but the issue I had was that there was that it had no effect at all.  Reading the discussion on the page I posted it seems that some users had more luck than others and quite a few people have posted their experiences and solutions.

All I did to get it to work was a combination of changing all the settings back, restarting, trying again, restarting, changing the scaling settings in windows display options, more restarting, and so on and so on.  I only persevered so much because so many users seemed to have success and I couldn't work out why I wasn't! It just worked in the end and I couldn't understand what I'd done differently.

All that said, I'm now running SW2016 which scales everything beautifully out of the box!

hope you get it sorted one way or another.