AnsweredAssumed Answered

Feature tree traversal w/ dimension retrieval

Question asked by Dmitry Zamoshnikov on Nov 16, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 by Dmitry Zamoshnikov

I was looking for a way to get a dimension by name through c# and I can't seem to find one.  I'm guessing I can create another function that traverses through each dimension in the feature and search for the dimension by name.  Then I can go through each sub-feature and traverse through each dimension until I find the name I'm looking for.  Does the solidworks API have a dimension by name retrieval function?

This is how I'm looking for the dimension in question:

// convert the component to a model document

swSelMod = (ModelDoc2)swCom.GetModelDoc2(); // select the model document of the object

if (GetFeature(swSelMod, __FEATURE_NAME) != null)

{

swFeat = GetFeature(swSelMod, __FEATURE_NAME);

swDispDim = (DisplayDimension)swFeat.GetFirstDisplayDimension();

// note: if i want to get the sketch of the feature I just found, I would have to call

//  swFeat.GetFirstSubFeature();

// this will be a pointer to the sketch.  From there I can find the dimensions of the geometry.

swDim = swDispDim.GetDimension();   // get the first dimension in the feature

runningTotal += swDim.Value;    // adds up all of the dimensions

}

else

TxtBx(ctrTextboxMessage, "Feature not found");

// this will go through each feature in the model document, gotta get the first feature

// then traverse through the feature tree by calling feat.GetNextFeature().

// note: many things are considered features: folders, reference geometry, and etc...

// one way to find what you're looking for is to find the name of the feature

public Feature GetFeature(ModelDoc2 model, string fieldName)

{

int featCount = model.GetFeatureCount();    // get a head count of features

Feature feat = (Feature)model.FirstFeature();   // target the first feature

// traverse through each feature in the feature tree in the model document

for (int i = 1; i <= featCount; i++)

{

if (feat.Name == fieldName) // if the feature name is found, return a pointer to the feature

return feat;

feat = feat.GetNextFeature();   // traverse through each feature in the feature tree

}

return null;    // feature not found

}

Message was edited by: Dmitry Zamoshnikov

Outcomes