4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2014 4:56 PM by Paul Cullen

new setup with issues, how do I use Ordinate dimensioning and dimension to centerline?

Glenn Ward

Im fairly new but learning alot. Im setting up a new desktop at home. I have a few issues and trying to work through each one.

1.) Using Ordinate dimensioning, my drawing has a few center lines Im trying to dimension to. I can select intersections, end points but not the end of the center-line?

2.) Drawing formats, every time I create a drawing, bring in a format, before I drawing detail, I have to select document properties, then document properties and click through Annotations and dimensions and select all the features I use each time. I tried setting this up numerous times but it conitues to default to the original each time.

These are two items needing much help on.

Thanks Glenn

• Re: new setup with issues, how do I use Ordinate dimensioning and dimension to centerline?
          Ingvar Magnusson

If I understand you correctly:

You have

Ordinate dimension

Horizontal Ordinate dimension

Vertical Ordinate dimension

Have you tried (looked at) the different behavior of them ?

When you have set up what you want. Make your own templates for parts, assemblies and Drawings, then it will be ready for you as you like.

• Re: new setup with issues, how do I use Ordinate dimensioning and dimension to centerline?
            Glenn Schroeder

I'm not sure about dimensioning to the end of a centerline, and I'm at home now and don't have SW here to check, but you should be able to select the centerline itself instead of the end.

For your template, once you get a drawing (or part or assembly) set up the way you want, save it as a drawing template, at the location you're pointing to at Tools >Options > System Options > File Locations > Document Templates.  Also, when you start a new file, and get the dialog box to select which type of file you want, if yours still isn't showing you're probably still on the Novice page,  There is a button at the bottom that says something like "Advanced".  Click on this, and it should take you to another page where your saved template should be available.  Also, it's common for new users to have trouble understanding the difference between sheet formats and drawing templates.  This discussion, particularly my second post, may be worth reviewing if you'd like: Sheet Templates .  There is a lot of good information in other places, but I had this one handy.

Glenn Ward

Thanks Glenn for the reply. at work Im able to select the center line. At home it inst working. My work around is turning on Temporary Axis from the top. Then I can select the axis of a hole on a curve.

Hide-show items.jpg

This worked for now.While I have your attention, there is one more item that works at work but not at home, the ability to use hole wizard and create multiple holes using the previous hole location. Im able to select a new hole, move to the previous hole and slowly drag straight down from the hole above and it will generate a dotted line from the center of the hole above. This allows all newly placed holes to be exactly under each other.

All these issues must be a set point in options somewhere. Its driving me mad.

Paul Cullen

Hi Glenn

If you have everything set up as you like at work and then you want the same settings on another computer use the "copy settings wizard" to save the settings that you have on your work computer you can then copy these to a USB stick and bring them to your other computer.

It is a good idea to save these settings anyway when you have everything set up as you want as you will always be able to reset your system easily if something goes wrong.

The wizard is a stand alone program and is not built into SolidWorks

I think you have to close SW then go Start - All Programs - SolidWorks 201? - SolidWorks Tools - Copy Setting Wizzard 201?

This will start the wizard where you can select what settings to save. you can then go to the same wizard on your home computer and use these settings on your home computer

Paul

copy settings.JPG