5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 1:25 PM by Brian McEwen

Revision variable not setting to data card on PDF

Tom Rendon

We have SLDDRW files and PDFs created from those SLDDRWs in a released state.  Both files are transitioned from Released to Under Revision using the same transition.  In this transition. the Revision variable is set to %nextrevision% and the Revision Number is incremented by 1.

This all works fine for the SLDDRWs, however not for the PDF.  The variable on the data card increments and updates fine for the SLDDRW but not PDF (i.e. the file was released at Rev B, when transitioned to Under Revision, the revision variable on the SLDDRW data card goes to C, but the revision variable on the PDF data card stays at B, same data card and same transition for both files).

We have to take the PDFs to an 'Admin Edit Area' where we run them through a +1/-1 Rev transition to get the variable on the data card to read properly.  Typically, when we do the +1 on the PDF, the Rev will jump from B to D and then we have to do a -1 to get the revision back down to the C where it is supposed to be.  That tells me the revision increment is working, but the variable is not reading the correct value...at least not for the PDF.

Any ideas on what to check or how to troubleshoot this one?

• Re: Revision variable not setting to data card on PDF
          Jeff Sweeney

Have you looked at the pdf file's history to see if the Revision property is being updated? Are you restricting the pdfs in the transition?

restrict.JPG

Tom Rendon

The Revision property doesn't show in the history of any of the files until they hit the released state again.  The data card, for all files except the PDF, updates to the new released value upon transition.  Not sure if that answers your first question or not.

We are not restricting the PDF in the transition.  The 'Run for Files' is checked, but the 'Only run...' box is unchecked.

Jeff Thomas

Why do you want to revision control the PDF of the revision controlled drawing? We generate the PDF from the revision controlled drawing during the transition to the "Released State". The PDF of the drawing gets checked into the vault in the singular "PDF Vault" state. The revision of the drawing gets mapped to the PDF data card from the drawing by using the  "File Card" configuration tool in the convert to PDF task.

The PDF gets replaced in the vault whenever the drawing goes through a revision cycle. All replaced PDF files can be found in the vault under the deleted files tab of the folder properties window.

When looking at the list PDF drawings the revision is now visible in the view window.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Brian McEwen

I agree it is weird Tom wants to transition the PDF drawing - I think of those as only being updated on Release, we don't keep any extra versions of the pdf in between releases. But it sounds like what he wants to do should be doable.

But Jeff Thomas one part of your reply was also weird to me...

"All replaced PDF files can be found in the vault under the deleted files tab of the folder properties window."

Don't those deleted files get periodically cleared by the Admins?  If you want to access the older versions, why not select the option to Create New Versions? That is what PDM is good at, then you can Get Version on that single file to see the old versions.

Brian McEwen

So you have a Set Variable action on the transition, right? Is there a Configuration specified?

Is the Revision variable on the data card set to Updates All Configurations? There is more than one way to handle this, but you should understand the implications of the above two questions (even if this is not the main cause of your issues).

That is one reason to have separate data cards for PDF file types and CAD data. Controlling this stuff is a bit easier. The pdf would typically have no configurations. But there are some actions that can accidentally create Configuration tabs.  

Also in the Under Revision state the Revision variable is just for a preview of what will be released, I would think. So two things: 1) It would be weird to me if you also have an  Increment Revision Action (but I have heard of such folly - normally this is done on Release).  Not sure if that is what you mean by the "Revision number".

In this transition. the Revision variable is set to %nextrevision% and the Revision Number is incremented by 1.

2) I don't see the need for another state and transition just to correct this (in the short term, until it is smoothed out). Just don't make the Revision variable Read Only on the card. If the user gets the value wrong somehow it should be overwritten when it is sent back to the Released state anyway.

Hope some of that helps.