12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 10:03 AM by Andy Sanders

Exploded view disaster

Mark Olsen

<rant on>

Ok.  Time to vent.  The exploded view has always been flaky and difficult at best.  But with 2014, SW has outdone themselves.  The addition of rotations within steps has added a whole new level of complexity to the task of selecting and moving components.  Click in the wrong place, and you get a rotation without asking for one.  Sometimes clicking on a components will add the step without any movement whatsoever for no good reason.  Double clicking on a moved component used to bring up the little blue arrow allowing adjustment of the step.  It still does...usually.  Other times only the arrow for a previous step shows.  Dumb.  But the best for last.  Don't ever hit the escape key while working on an explosion.  It will take you completely out of the explosion, destroying all work done, without any notice whatever.  Do the programmers have any idea how normal it is to hit escape when the software doesn't do what you want/expect?  Have they ever used SW??  This has to be one of the dumbest bits of programming ever.  It's about as helpful as closing the program without saving should the user ever hit escape while working.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

<rant off>

On the bright side, I get to do it all again.

• Re: Exploded view disaster
          Jamil Snead

Yeah I agree that there is a lot to be desired with the exploding interface. I think the addition of rotation was a great feature, but the implementation does interfere with normal linear exploding. I have unchecked the box for showing the rotation rings but a lot of the time they show up anyway. Also I made a suggestion in the SW World Top Ten area that you should be able to roll back through explode steps. Allow roll back of explode steps.

Mark Olsen

I've noticed the issue with the rotation rings as well.  Why put the option there if it isn't going to be implemented consistenlty?  And what is with the small blue ring within the rings?  And notice how the triad and the rings aren't in the same location?  I thought that they were supposed to stay together.  I guess not.  As to rolling back, that would be handy...but I'd rather they make the interface a lot more workable before adding more to it.

Capture.PNG

Mark Olsen

Ok.  This on is editing a step that moves in the assembly Z direction.  However, the little blue arrow to adjust the step is pointing in the Y direction.  And if you move it, the step moves in the Y direction, not the Z as it should.  I haven't yet figured out how to get it to go the right way.  Very frustrating.
              Capture.PNG

Mark Olsen

Well, manually entering a dimension for the step, and clicking apply, will put the arrow back to where it belong.  Quite intuitive.  Not.

Also, they didn't really 'allow' a rotation with each linear step.  It is now a requirement.  There must be a rotation for every step.  By default, 0°, but it is there.  Seems to defaullt to the XY ring of the last component selected.

I wish that some of this stuff was documented in the help files.  They don't even recognize that rotations exist yet.

Mark Olsen

Anyone know if this mess has been cleaned up in 2015?  Might be a reason to upgrade.  It is so bad in 2014 that it's almost useless.

Bernie Daraz

Mark, My personal preference is less than 12 steps per exploded view. I see you're somewhere around 27 in one of the pictures attached to your post. To me, that would mean I should have used at least one sub-assembly with it's own exploded view. Again, this is my personal preference and practice. It could make it easier on the assemblers too.

Mark Olsen

Bernie,

Yes, sometimes I have a lot of steps.  The assembly actually is a bunch of sub-assemblies, but the shop want's just one exploded view for the entire top level assembly.  Anyway, the problems don't stem from the number of steps.  They exist on step 1.  When they added the rotations, they did a poor job, in my opinion.

Bernie Daraz

If you need the parts to move in a non axial direction you can right click and reference a different surface for a perpendicular move for instance. So in essence you can move the circled screw (?) perpendicular to its own axis. Sorry I don't have SW running right now to tell you which command or the proper name to select.

Mark Olsen

Another thing that I've noticed, that makes it hard to use, is that even though you can not show the rotation rings, you cannot turn them off.  In other words, with them not shown, you can still select them and there is no indication that you are going to until you already have.  Once they are selected, it is very tough to get rid of the rotation.  Usually, it's just better to delete the step and start over.  It would be much better if not showing the rings actually turned them off, ie.  make them unselectable.

Capture.GIF

Andy Sanders

That "hit escape and lose everything" has been around as long as I can remember.

Bit me more times than I want to admit.  I end up hitting the check after ever 1 or to steps added to be safe.