4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 9:58 AM by Tim Read

Changing Workflow of Existing Items to New Workflow

Steve Zema

To All,

I have created a new workflow for a folder for our quality department.  There is an existing workflow (created before my employment) in place that covers everything within the folder (all SW files plus CMM programming).  The new workflow I've created will be just for the SW files, but I want to keep in place the current workflow for the programming files.  Is there a way to have the SW files use the new workflow without affecting the programming files??  Most of these files have revision history and I would like to retain them.

Thanks,

Steve Zema

• Re: Changing Workflow of Existing Items to New Workflow
          Michael Marshall

You can create Workflow Links (see pics).

WF_Link1.png

In the Workflow Link, you define the target Workflow and State within that Workflow.

Add a Transition between the source Workflow/State to your Workflow link, and execute. The nice thing about this is that as usual, in addition to setting Group Permissions to specify who can execute this Transition, you can specify in the Conditions to only allow SolidWorks files thereby preventing any accidental transitioning of non-SW files.

WF_Link.png

Steve Zema

Michael,

Thanks for the update.  I did figure it out.  I knew this was one way of doing it, and I had to create a work instruction to distinguish the two workflows to that particular group.

I appreciate the assistance.

Steve

Steve Zema

Michael,

Have another question.

I have a workflow that pushes drawing, parts, and assemblies to 'Production Release'.  But there are cases that we need to add new configurations to the part or assembly models for new items.  Where in the workflow link transition do I allow only part and assembly models to go to a new item workflow without the existing drawings?  There will be a new drawing (especially with assembly configurations) and I only need the models to go to the new item workflow?

Reason I am asking is that no one should have checkout access to production released items, even to add new configurations.  It needs to follow the same process as the new drawing, and it also lets others know that the model is being updated and cannot be revised if an engineering change comes through.

Thanks,

Steve Zema