4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 12:16 PM by Jared Conway

Can I batch run selected simulation scenarios from one file?

Shawn Mahaney

I have a large assembly in which I'm running a series of simulations studies.  Some of them are complete, several need to be re-run.  Can I batch process a selected number of the studies in one file?

I looked at the task scheduler, but it doesn't look like it has the ability to pick out particular studies from a simulation file.

I just tried "Run All Studies" for the first time, and it did exactly what it says - tried to start all the studies with no further user input or options, wiping out all the existing results (so now I need to run all anyway...).

• Re: Can I batch run selected simulation scenarios from one file?
          Shivani Patel

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this yet; it's an enhancement request we can currently vote for under SPR 582050. The best workaround for now is to use a design study; with that we choose which studies we want to run, as long as we set up some dummy variables and constraints. The limitation here is that all studies you want to run have to be using the same configuration.

Jared Conway

i think 2015 may have a feature for this

Shawn Mahaney

I would like to thank Solidworks developers for listening to us and adding the "Run Selected Studies" functionality! It is well appreciated.    That the studies run sequentially instead of attempting to go all at once is another smart thing (however belatedly realized).

With that bit of praise out of the way, I will return to bashing Solidworks developers for having no idea what we actually do out here. I currently have some studies running, and would like to begin picking data out of the completed scenarios while other scenarios continue to run. But that is arbitrarily blocked now!

The scenarios in this file are named 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. This morning I set up and started a batch run of 2, 3, and 4. Scenario 2 was on screen when I started the batch (letmeseethreeplease.png). 45 minutes and 17 seconds later, scenario 2 finished running and it began on scenario 3 (runs.png). I proceeded to set up results views in scenario 2 and got out the key data that we need for a design review, which happens to be this afternoon. Excellent so far.

So then I tried to click over to scenario 1, which ran yesterday. And then I was sad (nodataforyou.png). I tried to bring up scenario 3 once it completed and got the same message.

While the message text is technically correct, it does not apply to the current situation. I just want to post-process completed results. There's no good reason to obstruct this.